Jane's Reviews > A Storm Hits Valparaiso

A Storm Hits Valparaiso by David Gaughran

Mar 23, 12

Read from March 21 to 23, 2012

I won this book from LibraryThing Members Give-aways. A wonderfully written adventure set in South America. The countries are at war with Spain, there are false rumours about the death of Napoleon and trouble within the ranks of the British Navy. Initially the book starts with each chapter telling an individual story. After a few of these seemingly separate stories, I thought the book was just that, full of short stories, albeit very good ones. However, a few chapters in, characters reappeared and it became clear that they would all be connected in some way to tell the whole story. This is historical fiction , however the author states in his 'historical note' that "every effort was made to make this book historically accurate" and tells us that the historical record is imperfect. As far as accuracy goes, I felt that didn't matter because it was such a wonderful tale, descriptive, with good characterisations and the narrative flowed beautifully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm Hits Valparaiso.