Virginia Campbell's Reviews > A River to Cross

A River to Cross by Yvonne Harris

Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, western, suspense, adventure
Read in March, 2012

When I first started reading "A River to Cross", by Yvonne Harris, I was struck by dialogue and terminology which seemed inappropriate for the setting and era of the book, Texas of 1886. However, once the characters really developed and the story line deepened, I was hooked. Lloyd Evans is the owner and operator of the largest newspaper in El Paso, TX. An editor with a bold, investigative style, Lloyd is writing strong expose articles on the local crime element in the area. His reporting leads to his death and to the kidnapping of his sister, Elizabeth Evans. Texas Ranger Captain Jake Nelson, a friend of Lloyd's who was assisting in the investigations, rescues Elizabeth and vows to bring the local crime lords to justice. Elizabeth is the daughter of a US Senator and the still-grieving widow of a US Army Lieutenant, Carl Evans. Beautiful and petite, Elizabeth's exterior belies her inner strength and intelligence. Jake is immediately captivated by Elizabeth, and he soon realizes that he is in over his head. He will also have to overcome the memories Elizabeth has of her lost love. When Jake sets out to woo Elizabeth, and turns on the slow-talking, courtly protector, larger-than-life Texas charm, she is smitten. Their friendship and courtship of each other throughout the action-packed story line is very enjoyable. The romantic suspense aspect of this historical western is terrific! I was very involved with the characters and so looking forward to the resolution of their adventures and to their HEA. Jake and Elizabeth have a wonderful romance with a very unromantic ending. The author did tie up the story line issues, but left out the romance in the final chapter. All in all, because of the characters and the action-adventure suspense of the story, I recommend "A River to Cross" for lovers of western romance.

Review Copy Gratis Bethany House Books
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A River to Cross.