Ilze Folkmane's Reviews > Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour

Watching the English by Kate Fox

Mar 26, 12

Read from March 21 to 27, 2012

I have surprisingly little to say about the book itself. It is quite well written (though, the combination of the language styles was a bit confusing as it gave mixed signals about the purpose of the book), there are some phrases that are laugh-out-loud funny, some parts that seems deeply academic but all in all it is quite repetitive. However, the book flawlessly follows the rules of Englishness it so bravely sets out to determine. It has lots of humour, modesty (real and affected), moderation and all the other things that turned out to be the core of being English.

On a side note (purely because I need to jut this down somewhere, and there is an appalling lack of a blog in my life), I have two theories one of which might or might not be true:
1) I am in fact English.
2) I am Latvian, but Latvians are awfully similar to English.
Oh, no a third theory emerged:
3) The author has failed to describe the English, but has described some universals.
Whichever of the theories might be true, I just noticed an awful lot of similarities between my and the supposed English characteristics.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watching the English.