John Egbert's Reviews > Vizcaya

May 25, 2012

bookshelves: youre-doin-it-right, finally-a-good-book
Read from March 22 to May 24, 2012

Spoilers ahead!

I put this book down and was satisfied. I thought, huh, now that was a good read.

Vizcaya is multi narrated by Nikki, Nelli and Diego. Nikki and Diego are going out, then Diego meets Nelli at Vizcaya while she's modelling and decides she's the best thing since sliced cheese. Naturally, being his girlfriend and all, Nikki gets pissed and after attempting to pull his attention back to only her with no avail she drops him like a hot potato. Nelli takes her chance here and starts dating Diego, much to Nikki's dismay.

And it only goes up from there.

The thing I loved about Vizcaya was that, even though I felt it was a little long, it snagged and kept my attention. I was never bored. It was lovely.

I'm unsure who I like more between Nikki, Nelli and Diego but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go with Nelli. Diego, although I didn't outright dislike him, ticked me at times. I can understand that he didn't know which girl he liked more but he took too long to figure it out. And when he did it was pretty much too late to spare any hurt feelings, which was a pity. Nikki, although I had no major issues with her either, was pretty selfish. In the end it's nice that she got some sense and told Diego what needed to be said, but like Diego she took way too long. And I really don't like how it took her until the end to realize that she was pretty much on the same level as Nelli. As Elvis said, who is my second favorite character after Nelli, we are all a product of our environment. Which reminds me, Elvis was awesome.

It was like, Rivera managed to get the whole friendzoning thing that usually YA authors do so poorly exactly right. Elvis outright told Nikki that although he would want to be in a relationship with her, he was fine with just being friends and didn't want to lose that. And Nikki wasn't made out to be selfish for not being romantically interested in him even though he was always there for her. Common sense in action, people, common sense in action!

Nelli and her family were one of my favorite parts about this book. Her father, especially. I took a strange delight when he pulled Diego aside and gave him that if-you-ever-hurt-my-daughter speech that we all know and love. (Except this speech had a nice refreshing threat of pulling out Diego's intestines and shoving them down his throat until he choked. Some YA dads just don't go far enough with the threats. *shakes head sadly*)

I think I could go on and on about this book, but I should probably stop now. It was surely a 5 star for me, because I could easily go back over the favorite parts I like and re-read them with just as much joy as the first time. I'd recommend wholeheartedly to any lovers of YA!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vizcaya.

04/07/2012 "I will read you on Monday. I SWEAR IT." 2 comments