Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Scarlet

Fiery hair
Lost grand-mere
And a war -
Brewing on the horizon.

Cinder’s still missing a limb
Levana’s still losing her sh*t
Over the rightful queen
Whom she hates quite a bit

Kai’s missing his father
In an empire full of plotters
Stuck between two boulders
And refusing to be a push-over.

A fugitive on the loose
A pretend queen after her with a noose
Deaths, blood shed, and chaos –
Regardless of whom he’d choose.

More than anything it's the story
Of a girl with a dwindling family
Who can help solve the mystery
And start an infamy
Against a dreadful ruler
infamous mind controller
Start a revolution
And stop the mind pollution!

I’m not going to lie, I was skeptical about how I would buy into a cyborg version of Cinderella; and after reading the synopsis of this installment, I also doubted how Scarlet’s story was going to meld with Cinder’s. It certainly took forever for their stories to intersect (approximately, halfway to the book). Ah…but I never counted on Ms. Meyer’s ability to spin and weave her tales. After a few pages, I was completely enraptured. This book is no light weight – so you know it’s detailed. You would never fall into an unsuspecting plot hole. More than anything, you will even more appreciate the kind of futuristic world the author created. But one thing’s for sure, you’ll never notice the time passing by.

We get to find out exactly how the Lunar princess escaped death and how she managed to prosper regardless of the injuries she sustained in the fire. The people who helped her were actually the link to Scarlet’s and Cinder’s story. That alone will keep you reading well into the night.

The subtle but sublime romance between Scarlet and Wolf is another reason. There’s something about a part-animal, part-man that I find so charming. It’s the battle inside of him that makes his character even more so. Scarlet is a formidable heroine – probably just as much as Cinder is. Her determination to find grand mere rivals her drive to save Wolf against himself.

Unfortunately, there’s no interaction whatsoever between Cinder and Kai. But I’m looking forward to the upcoming books to this series. One character to watch out for is Captain Thorne – the fugitive that Cinder was in cohorts with in this book. He’s funny and flirtatious, slightly in love with himself but not a love interest – thank God!

Suspense, non-stop action, with a side order of romance; Ms. Meyer’s follow up to her fairy tale remix is the stuff you can’t read to your kids about as you lay them down to sleep…unless you want them waking up screaming the house down, that is.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

01/16/2013 page 88
18.0% 4 comments
01/17/2013 page 193
41.0% "Hallelujah! Finally a bridge between Cinder and Scarlet. It makes sense now...sort of."
01/18/2013 page 222
47.0% "Must read faster. Must read faster."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Belle (new) - added it

Belle Small Do you like the story so far...just curious:)

Joy (joyous reads) Hi Belle.

I can't decide yet, to be honest. :) I'm not too far in yet and this book is massive!

message 3: by Belle (new) - added it

Belle Small Well I hope you have a good read on your hands:)

message 4: by Shana (new)

Shana Simmons Still haven't read Cinder, but I will soon! I hear great things about that book as well.

Joy (joyous reads) Shana wrote: "Still haven't read Cinder, but I will soon! I hear great things about that book as well."

It's really good, Shana. :)

message 6: by Kara-karina (new) - added it

Kara-karina So need to read this. Marvelous review and poem, J.! :)

lunaraerae Oh, you made me laugh! I went to bed at maybe 11 PM last night. I decided to do a little reading...I finished Scarlet. It's 4:35 in the morning.