Lyle's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

May 11, 12

bookshelves: horror, junk-food, fiction
Read from March 20 to May 07, 2012

It took me way too long to read this book. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to plow through the whole thing in one setting (school made sure that didn't happen!). Books like these are built around a gimmick and - with too much room to breathe - the gimmick sometimes begins to lose it's effectiveness. Like a Saturday Night Live sketch - maybe it works great for 4 minute sketches as a concept, but not as good for an hour and thirty minute feature.

The idea of Abe Lincoln out killin' vampires appealed to me in some weird, quirky way - and the way that the author tells the story is interesting and creative (his approach is deadpan and, frankly, a bit dry). Still, this was pretty silly (even if the tone was serious) and I wasn't sure how I felt about the way that Grahame-Smith used slavery in the novel (and the way that Abe's actions were almost all determined by vampires throughout the whole of his life). This is some heavy, historical stuff that is shifted around into horror genre entertainment here... it fills me with mixed emotions and head scratching moral quandaries when I ponder the implications of some of these plot choices.

That said, I read the whole thing and enjoyed it at bits more than I should have... and I will probably go see the movie... I just can't help myself; I want to go see Abe off a bloodsucker with his ax!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

04/03/2012 page 200
60.0% "I sometimes enjoy a little junk food."