Asma's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: favourites, 52-books-2012, featuring_books, posters
Read from August 27 to 31, 2012

Simply irresistible. Just beautifully woven events with the such simple words that it honesty gets to your heart. I cannot do this book justice no matter how much I ramble about it. As a book lover, I consider this one a gem. The way Zafon describes books makes my heart break. The story is very gripping and unique. I loved how Julian's story was in a way reincarnated in Daniel's and their formidable bond. The over layer Julian's book adds to it was a nice touch. And I REALLY loved the way the story kept showing kept getting deeper with new layers of mystery and adventure. The characters were so keenly shaped you end up falling head over heels for them. Above all, Daniel's innocent curiousity and Julian's dark side and his mysterious appearance. Fermin's bustling personality, Barcelo's wise attitude. I wanted to learn French so I can appreciate some of my favorite works of literature. I can now add Spanish to the list so I can truly savor this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Asma Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return.”
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“I couldn't help thinking that if I, by pure chance, had found a whole universe in a single unknown book, buried in that endless necropolis, tens of thousands more would remain unexplored, forgotten forever. I felt myself surrounded by millions of abandoned pages, by worlds and souls without an owner sinking in an ocean of darkness, while the world that throbbed outside the library seemed to be losing its memory, day after day, unknowingly, feeling all the wiser the more it forgot.”
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

08/28/2012 page 75
15.0% "Wow. Just beautiful. This tidbit moves me to tears-or as close as I can be."