Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Dearest Unspoken,

I must regrettably inform you that we must do the unthinkable and separate. I really don't know where we went wrong, you and I. After my co-blogger, Kat, set us up on that blind date, urging me to give you a go, I thought for sure we would hit it off nicely.  And for a minute we did. Don't you remember? It was love at first sight as I set my eyes on your gorgeous cover and unique premise. But somehow, along the way, something went wrong.

Unspoken, you were true. You had a solid plot and you were different from any of the others I've read before you. But it was clear from the beginning that our cultural differences would be our undoing. With you being so very English and me being a confused American, I just couldn't keep up with your complexity. But darling, to be fair, you weren't easy on me. If only your scene transitions were a little more smoother, perhaps I could have understood how much time had passed or when the character PoV had changed. Or perhaps if only the characters didn't suffer from "just go with it" syndrome, ignoring and dismissing instances where they had the opportunity to learn more about the mystery just for the sake of prolonging the story. Unspoken, let's be honest with one another. That mystery could have been solved halfway through the story if only the characters weren't so wrapped up in concealing their feelings. Honey-bunches, it annoyed me.

Speaking of your characters, darling, they were entirely likable. But that's also the problem because that's all they will ever be for me, just likable. Not once did I feel connected to them in any way and countless times I paused to consider the possibilities of why. Kami is a smart, witty, no-nonsense girl. Just my type, if you can believe it. But her constant detachment from Jared proved to be more of an annoyance than anything else. The more and more she pulled away from him, the more I felt I lost any type connection. Don't get me wrong, Unspoken. I really did enjoy the fact that they could read each other's minds since they were babies. I just don't understand why Jared never could bear to touch Kami. Why did Kami want to rid herself of Jared after she mentions how much she values their special relationship. Because she was afraid of being hurt? So this one hurdle somehow cancels out the relationship they had developed since they were children? I'm sorry, but that logical pathway confuses me.

Even still, through our rough times, you somehow managed to occasionally make me laugh. The dialogue and humor were perfection and timely placed. Unfortunately, not even your wit could save us. I probably should have mentioned all this before. Looking back, I had seen the ghosts of these feelings at the halfway mark and I struggled to stay in our relationship. I now realize that I shouldn't have let other's incessant peer pressure get to me. You see, they told me to just hang in there, that it was all worth it in the end. But by the time you have reached your climax and ending, I remained indifferent. To put it lightly, dearest, your ending is illogical to me. You're telling me a group of people couldn't disarm and defeat one enemy? Even with their special abilities combined? And in turn, it took that group of people forever to get to Kami? And dammit I wish I could go into further detail about that, but I know how you feel about kissing and telling.

No, no. I know what you're doing right now and you shouldn't even think it. Unspoken, you were fabulous in so many ways. It was like you were telling this hilarious joke and I was standing there waiting for the punchline, only to realize everyone else is already laughing. Which is why I must close this break-up letter with the most clichéd expression ever:

With all my love,

Stephanie Sinclair

P.S. I know that Kat Kennedy will attempt to chivalrously defend your honor tooth and nail in a review war. Please, pass on a message for me: Bring it. :P

ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley.

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
154 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

09/11/2012
10.0% "This book is strange." 2 comments
09/16/2012
35.0% "I'm having a very odd case of "love-hate" with this book."
09/18/2012
55.0% "I just want to beat my head against the wall. Perfectly acceptable way to express myself, right?" 9 comments

Experiment BL626 This sounds like some show you could watch on the CW channel.

Steph Sinclair Experiment BL626 wrote: "This sounds like some show you could watch on the CW channel."

Lol, I know!

message 3: by Shyla (new) - added it

Shyla with a slight nod to VC Andrews thrown in too! lol

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie How did you get it so early?

Steph Sinclair Katie wrote: "How did you get it so early?"

It was on NetGalley a little while ago. I'm not sure if it's still up or not.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I believe it's being archived on the 11th.

message 7: by Ira (new) - added it

Ira strange in a good way? :D

Steph Sinclair Ira wrote: "strange in a good way? :D"

I think, good. I like the humor of the characters.

Kate Bond I read it today and absolutely loved it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm excited to see you read this one - waiting for the review!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My relationship with this book was mostly hate. :( I feel like I'm the only one, too. I hope you like it, though!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

BOOOOO, Steph! BOOOO! ;) LOL.

Steph Sinclair Kara wrote: "BOOOOO, Steph! BOOOO! ;) LOL."

LOL! I know! How is it that I disliked it when everyone else loved it?? I've been having such a great streak lately with books. It was bound to end. *sigh*

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph Sinclair Kara wrote: "I'm just sorry you didn't enjoy it. Kat will be looking for you with chainsaw katana in hand. ;)"

Haha! Bring it! There's definitely a review war on the horizon. ;)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG! YES! I freaking LOVE review wars!! You MUST do it with this book!

Steph Sinclair Of course! We don't get to do them that often because we usually agree on almost every book. LOL.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! You guys haven't done one for awhile. I'll be looking forward to this for sure. I always laugh though cuz it seems like you are always the defender. *cough* Anna Dressed in Blood *cough*

message 19: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Oh wow, looking forward to your review. I've been hoping I'd find time to read this one. The premise is pretty fascinating (almost like something you'd find in shojo).

message 20: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Parent Very interested to hear your thoughts! I do want to read this one--it sounds like something I'd love--but since I heard it ends with a major cliffhanger, I decided I'd finish Sarah's Demon's Lexicon trilogy first.

message 21: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Copeseeley hahahahaha This book is next on my list. I'm very curious to see who wins that review battle. :)

Hellebore This book is next on my to read list it's already purchased and ready to go on my Kobo .. After reading Kat's review I was so excited to read it and then now I see that you could barely finish .. O_o ohh the confusion.. it's so rare that I see you two disagree so much.. The review battle will be amazing I'm sure.. and now it seems that I will have read this and (gasp) form my own opinion.. lol .. can't wait to see what I think of this one..

Giselle Yah... this book was... not something.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

*takes away Giselle's cupcake* Go to YOUR corner!

Giselle *Gives Kara the virtual finger*

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahahahahaha!

Steph Sinclair @Kara, it's just like ADiB and Under the Never Sky. Those are practically the only two we REALLY disagreed on.

@Phoebe, the premise is really great along with the plot, but the characters, I found, we're very hard to connect with.

@Stephanie, the ending doesn't end too much on a cliffhanger. But the ending did upset me. I didn't care for it.

@Kate, ME, of course!

@Hellebore, I mean, give it a go. I can see how it can appeal to others. It's very different from what I'm used to reading, which wasn't a bad thing, but I had no idea it was an English novel before I started. So the town name and the character mannerisms through me off.

@Giselle, Ohhhh, I'm not alone! I will have to read your review after I've written mine. *kindred spirit*

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph Sinclair Kara wrote: "It totally is. Though I think I could love book two of UtNS. There were just some things in book one that didn't work for me."

Same. I'm actually really excited for book two. Oddly, I'm not even remotely interested in book two of Unspoken. Then again I said that about Girl of Nightmares and ended up giving it 5 stars, so yeah. Lol.

Kellye Duel!!!!!! Yes!!! Also the ending of this seriously upset me. But I liked this book a lot. Did I mention duel excitement though? ^.^

message 31: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy
"...but I know how you feel about kissing and telling..."

Hahaha!! Love your review! :D And, weirdly, the more I read of it, the more I wanted to read this book. I think I might just do so - for curiosity's sake.

Steph Sinclair Lucy wrote: "
"...but I know how you feel about kissing and telling..."

Thanks! Well, it's not a bad book it's just very different. I think ultimately for me, it was the disconnect with the characters. It's hard to enjoy a well-written book after that.

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark I haven't read this book, but I love your review. It's hilarious!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

"After my co-blogger, Kat, set us up on that blind date, urging me to give you a go, I thought for sure we would hit it off nicely. "

Lol, it feels just like that, a book-rec.

"Please, pass on a message for me: Bring it. :P"

HOOT! *Cackles madly*

I loved this review. I confess I'm very interested in this book, given Kat's praise, but if I don't get it either, I'll feel comforted

"It was like you were telling this hilarious joke and I was standing there waiting for the punchline, only to realize everyone else is already laughing."

*chuckle* Too good a review.

Steph Sinclair Thanks! I think most people will like it, I'm just reclaiming my roll of black sheep. LOL.

Ceilidh It's nice to see Miss Stephanie Contrary back on the scene again! ;) Great revewe, love it!

message 37: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Prathia I can't wait to see what Kat going to say about this review. She loves it, adores it to the max!

While I have to agree on some of your point. The scene transition do confuse me too. I love it though.

message 38: by Mika (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mika Koga i was really disappointed when i read this as well. it was really confusing in the start which really annoyed me. i tried liking it but the characters don't even know how to trust each other. its a really frustrating book

Steph Sinclair @Ceilidh, thank you!

@Dee, She will have nothing to say but, "You're totally right, Steph. Did I mention how amazing I think you are?" Hahaha!

@Mika, I think that was my problem as well. I was REALLY confused from the beginning and even the towns name completely threw me off.

Lisa (Fic Talk) I just wanna break down in tears because that was the bestest break up letter EVAR. Your use of words like "darling" & "honey-bunches" really softened the blow.

:P

Loved it, Steph! :D

Steph Sinclair Lisa (Fic Talk) wrote: "I just wanna break down in tears because that was the bestest break up letter EVAR. Your use of words like "darling" & "honey-bunches" really softened the blow.

:P

Loved it, Steph! :D"

Haha! Thank you, Lisa!

Rachael Loved the review, interesting how I found it to be quite American from a British point of view, definitely couldn't make up it's mind :)

Sobia Just wanted to day thanks for such a well written review, you hit every issue I had with the story...and made me feel better for not being the only one who couldn't seem to get on the 4 and 5 star band wagon.

message 44: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Parent I changed my mind...I'm too curious now. I am going to try to read this one soon, before I finish the Demon's Lexicon trilogy. Of course, since my "read soon" list includes probably a hundred books, who knows when that will happen...

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright, let's see who I believe!

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sousa I loved your review. I couldn't stop smiling while reading it.

Steph Sinclair Patriciasantossousa wrote: "I loved your review. I couldn't stop smiling while reading it."

Thanks! :)

Lexxie :) this was meh for me as well, and I think I was doubly disappointed because I went into it expecting to completely love it! Alas, there was not much love there on my part, and I didn't get why everybody else was laughing either...

message 49: by Steph (new) - rated it 1 star

Steph Preach. May our lonely negative reviews hang out together and bake cookies and have sleepovers where they gossip about this book and braid each other's hair.

Steph Sinclair Lexxie, it just goes to show you that hype is never good for any book. At least we're not alone!

Stephanie, hahaha! That's brilliant!

« previous 1