Delaney's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in April, 2012

Ahhh, the ending. I told the book and what happens? Yeah, a big horrific ending. Made me tear up. And, and, and, just WHY????!!!!! Just all those good peoples and just leaving a pit stomach of WHY??!!!!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak sets during the WWII in Germany where there is Hitler, Jews, and innocent people under harsh times. Uniquely, the book is narrated by Death. Why is it narrated by Death? Yes, you get to know that once you get into it. Quitely, I don't think I knew what I was expecting: thievery, books, wars? Just not sure how to sum that up.

Our main character Liesel Meminger comes into the story with thievery of books--in where she gets taught from her Papa. Let's introduce the characters now, shall we?
Liesel is a German and her character was different. I liked her spunk and how she maneuvered through her life. In a way, I would say she had a big heart and was living as a teenage during WWII.
There was Rudy. Ahh, Rudy. Yes, I liked his dialogue and how he wanted a kiss from Liesel. He made me laugh and in the end made me cry. He was charming.
Hans Hubberman is Liesel's foster dad and he taught Liesel how to read. He was a sweet dad and really cared for Liesel like his own child. When Liesel had nightmares he was there.
Rosa Hubberman is Liesel's foster mom and even though she was harsh, with big bad words splurging out, somewhere down there, she loved Liesel just as much. But in a different way of showing it, that's all.
There was also the only Jew really dignified named Max. I liked him. He was nice and just was a willing living being in this story.
And Death? Death is a total mystery and chills me a little.

Zusak's writing style was smooth and flowed from one chapter to another. Even though the chapters were short, it was comforting to know what would happen. Though, it took me about three chapters until I actually could just sit and read, but once I did it was nice and soothing. It's nice how he took a topic with a narrator as Death and somehow make it so reassuring that the ending just slams into your face like a newspaper. Even though I don't really like slow paced book, this book kept me occupied and let ease into the story, it's characters, and the whole significance around it.

Unworldly, this book taught me gratitude. To be thankful for what you have and how you are living now. Because back then, things were worse than ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Delaney Liked

Markus Zusak
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

Markus Zusak
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

Markus Zusak
“It kills me sometimes, how people die.”

Markus Zusak
“I am haunted by humans.”

Markus Zusak
“It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery”

Markus Zusak
“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”

Markus Zusak
“Even death has a heart.”

03/25/2012 page 33
6.0% "its a sstrange yet interesting book where I bet if I got into it it would be hard to put down"
03/25/2012 page 36
7.0% "i really like Hans :D he's nice"
03/26/2012 page 70
13.0% "What could I say of Rudy, ehh?"
03/26/2012 page 110
20.0% "interesting and easier read considering it is in the Holocaust."
03/27/2012 page 173
31.0% "wow! Event though I'm reading it slooooowly, I don't mind at all"
03/28/2012 page 205
37.0% "yup, i need to catch up on my reading XD"
03/28/2012 page 253
46.0% "I think imma tear up from this Jew and German interaction. :'D"
03/29/2012 page 283
51.0% "ahhhh, i feel your pain Rudy."
03/29/2012 page 321
58.0% "NO JEW! DON'T DIE!!"
03/29/2012 page 328
60.0% "KEEP IT IN THERE!!! STAY STRONG!!!!"
03/29/2012 page 339
62.0% "This is where I want to read and know what would happen and yet... I have to go to sleep."
04/01/2012 page 399
73.0% "Poor Max."
04/01/2012 page 471
86.0% "I hope Rudy or ANYBODY dies."
04/01/2012 page 507
92.0% "Noooo!!!! Please. Please. Don't die, anybody, everybody live. Please"
show 2 hidden updates…

Mary I just finished. My review didn't do it justice, and im so depressed and happy all at the same time. Oh, and did Liesel marry Max???

Delaney That's what i've been thinking, too! I talked around and they said oh the age and stuff, but I'm convinced it's Max she married up.

Mary thanks for liking my review haha and yeah same here. gosh that part where she found him in the parade. I cried so much. and I was so glad that he at least survived

Delaney Your welcome! Your review reminded me of how much I loved it.
But even though he said the fate of Rudy in the mist of things, I really really wanted Rudy to liiiveee!!! Do you think Max is the one she married as mentioned in the end?

Mary C.H.O.M.P. wrote: "Your welcome! Your review reminded me of how much I loved it.

awww thank you:) I wanted him to live too, or at least be alive when she kissed him. that would have been sad and hilarious for what he might say. and I wondered the same. I think so, after all despite the age diff. they were always pretty close

Delaney Yeah! I actually read the quote right there (because it's that of a book to look at the quotes) and I saw that she leaned in and kissed (not in my un-lyrical words) and then I just exited out of the quotes. So i thought Rudy would live. DX

I guess it's one of those things that authors just wants you to imagine yourself.

Mary C.H.O.M.P. wrote: "Yeah! I actually read the quote right there (because it's that of a book to look at the quotes) and I saw that she leaned in and kissed (not in my un-lyrical words) and then I just exited out of th..."

yep. it kills us and makes us happy all at the same time

Delaney I hate being killed happily.

Mary C.H.O.M.P. wrote: "I hate being killed happily."

same here. but if it wasn't zusak who wrote it, I don't think this would be a favorite book of mine.

uggg I have school tomorrow. less time to read anything

Delaney Nooo, why can't break be longer! DX

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary *cries* I know. and I still have 5 library books,and 7 Christmas books to read. and I still am writing my story.

Melanie C.H.O.M.P. wrote: "Nooo, why can't break be longer! DX"

It's nine o clock and I have school tomorrow oh my god.
(irrelevant)

The book thief was "tragically beautiful" A re-read will do me good. Or maybe not, since I'd be left in tears.