Jess's Reviews > So Brave, Young and Handsome

So Brave, Young and Handsome by Leif Enger

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: audiobook, historical-fiction, adventure, adult-fiction
Read in August, 2008

This one didn’t hit me quite as hard as Peace Like a River, but it had the same sort of humanity to it. Characters who are flawed, but capable of facing redemption. A run from the law. A sense of adventure. A description of what it means to be at home in certain places and with certain people. Heart and humor, and an old-fashioned feel without seeming like it was trying too hard. I wasn’t sure about the audio version at first, but it got me hooked after a few minutes. It all felt real.

I just realized that I never noticed a mention of the title in the book. I can’t remember if any of the characters were ever described as “so brave, young and handsome.” Maybe Hood Roberts, the young mechanic - he was the only young one, and the only one that someone might have spoken of in that tone of voice.

I listened to a podcast of a reading Enger gave, and he talked about how he wanted to write for as wide an audience as possible - young adults on up - and his books really do seem suited to that. They have a good balance of character and plot, and there’s no reason you couldn’t hand one to a high schooler or your grandfather. I think he’s succeeded - and I will certainly go back and read both this one and Peace Like a River again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Brave, Young and Handsome.