Zach's Reviews > Chasing Lincoln's Killer

Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

M 50x66
Mar 20, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book is an action filled true story that is very fast paste because it's one of those books you don't want to put down. It is about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Although, he's like not even the main character (of course without him there is no assassination), but the main characters are John Wilkes Booth, George Atzerodt, Luther Baker, Colonel Lafayette Baker, Colonel Everton Conger, Captain Samuel Cox and others. Lincoln was shot at Fords theater on April 22, shot by a small, short-barreled, pocket-size handgun designed for concealment and to hide good. It had a .44 caliber ball weighing nearly an ounce, and was deadly strong. It gets very into detail, it describes the great manhunt for the assassin and all of those who end up helping him out in anyway.
John Wilkes Booth, was the assassin of Lincoln. His FULL plot did not work as planned. In fact, the only thing about his plot that worked was that he killed Abe. Everything else didn't quite go his way. He planned to have two of his associates kill both the Secretary and the Vice President. One chickened out and one was unsuccessful. Booth hoped that by killing them that it would give the Confederates (the south) another chance at winning the war. Well, it didn't at all help them out, in fact, many of the people in the south were disappointed at the fact that one of their men killed the president.
I truly did like this book, it's not one of the books where you just say crap to get a good grade. My favorite part of this book is how into depth it gets. I am not going to say anything in particular word for word, but especially love when it is time for him to fire at Lincoln and while he does. If you are a drama queen, you will probably think its a little disturbing for you.
I highly recommend this book to anybody. Although, with the exception of a part or two, even girls will love this book. I didn't rate it a 5 star for no reason, the author does an extremely good job of hooking the reader and keeping their eyes glued to the book. I love the way the author writes. Read this book, find out whether you like the ending, and find out if the government took punishments a little too far? Or if they caught everybody? Read this amazing book and find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Lincoln's Killer.