Julie's Reviews > Be With You

Be With You by Takuji Ichikawa

Aug 11, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, 2008
Recommended to Julie by: umm.. Japanese television?
Recommended for: people who like quiet, romantic stories
Read in August, 2008

This is a wonderful book. I got interested in it because when I was in Japan in April 2006, my friend D and I watched the film version on TV in our hotel. We didn't really know what was going on because there were no subtitles, so we could only catch some dialogue now and again, but the quiet feeling of the movie really spoke to me. I kept checking into it, and eventually found out that Viz Media was translating the book and also releasing the movie here.

Like with most translated works, the writing style becomes a bit dry, a bit less lyrical than the original. It doesn't flow quite as well. This isn't a serious problem for the book, but it takes a little getting used to. It's a very quiet, slow-moving story, filled with small details of day-to-day life, and it dragged a bit for me in the middle.

Because of that, I fell prey to my stupid tendency to skim ahead a bit, and spoiled the end of the book for myself. Don't do this! The end is remarkable, amazing, unpredictable, miraculous - stick with the book and just let it happen!

This is a wonderful story, with a unique ending, and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to check out the movie version (with subtitles this time!); there's apparently also a TV show and a manga.

(One final note on the translation: Viz has been doing an excellent job, from what I can tell, in translating fiction. They keep the cultural references intact as far as I know and use honorifics such as "-kun" or "-san," realizing that by now, people pretty much know what that they mean. Viz translates in a way that shows respect for their fans' intelligence, and I greatly appreciate it.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be With You.

message 1: by Kellyflower (new) - added it

Kellyflower Julie I'm trying to purchase this one off Amazon, but it keeps showing Manga... the version you read wasn't manga correct?

Julie Right - it was a novel.

Julie here is a link to the novel on Amazon. it looks like they incorrectly lumped the novel and manga together so if you pick hardcover format, it's the novel, but if you select paperback, it's the manga. Be With You https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421507625/...