Marsha's Reviews > The Department of Magic

The Department of Magic by Rod Kierkegaard Jr.

Mar 22, 12

Recommended for: Adults
Read from March 20 to 21, 2012, read count: Once

"The Department of Magic" is equivalent to the paranormal version of the movie National Treasures. The characters run around collecting artifacts from our first President George Washington in an attempt to 'revive' him.

Two governmental recruits have just graduated and been assigned to the Department of Magic. They instantly take a dislike to one another and to make matters worse, only one of them will actually get the job after their six months probation. This does not sit well with Ms. Farrah or Mr. Di Angelo; however, a job is a job. Right? Well, if you do not mind having your boss killed the first day and your offices burned the next, this is the job for you.

Soon Jazz and Di Angelo discover that their former boss had been keeping many secrets including the fact that he has been revived from the dead. They are instantly bonded and linked through by wearing a magical amulet they are unable to remove. They are assigned tasks that will put them in contact with the greatest nasties that the city has to offer. The action was great and the historical references were interesting.

I enjoyed this book but did not love it. The writing, action and plot was very good; but, the characterizations were a little too light leaving me less invested in the plot. I really never liked the self centered Jazz Farrah and never really felt as if I knew Di Angelo sufficiently. He felt like a wimp to me at times. Another thing that bothered me was the author mentions the events of 9-1-1 as a paranormal occurrence. This attack on America is still a little to fresh in my mind to make light of it. I realize it was not the author's intention but it just came across as inconsiderate to those who died and their families.

At this point, I doubt that I will continue on with the series. I have been on a quest of sorts to find new series that I could really love and although I enjoyed this one, I just did not enjoy it enough to continue with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Department of Magic.