Maria Nesmith's Reviews > Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

This book is about a girl named Opal who moves to Naomi, Florida with her father who is a preacher. Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket and comes out with a dog. Winn-Dixie helps Opal make friends in their new town. In the book Opal struggles to find out what happened to her mother. This is an amazing story that highlights the importance of love, friendship, and acceptance.

The story is very well written according to many of the standards outlined in Chapter 2. The characters are all fully developed, the setting is constructed with many details, and the plot is fully developed. All of the events within this story are plausible, and relatable to most readers. For example, this book shows the relationship between a girl and her dog. This book is relatable because at one point in our lives we turn to our pets for help. The book also has family issues that some children can relate to. The story is one that is very believable and has many real life features. The plot is one that is true and can help children who move to a new place or have single parents to cope and accept.

I liked reading this book. I enjoyed it because I am an only child and have a dog. My dog is my buddy just like Winn-Dixie is to Opal. The book was very easy reading and kept my attention. One thing I did not like about the book is the part when they say that Opal’s brother drowned. I think that is a tad harsh for young children who read this book. I’m not sure if I would use this in a classroom. If I would I would use it to help students who have just moved or who have a single parent. This book will show them about building friendships and accepting their family situation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Winn-Dixie.