Benedict's Reviews > Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth by Peter F. Hamilton

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from March 20 to 30, 2012

I wish I could give half-stars; I'd rate this between a 3 and 4. It was an enjoyable read, and had good characters. It was fun to read it with an eye towards the society that Hamilton develops for a few hundred years into our future in Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained (there's a wink at the reader that this is, indeed, the same timeline and society). I'd recommend reading that duo before this; readers looking for a sci-fi romp with good alien (and human) villains will do better with that; this is driven more by character struggles and philosophical crises, and they're definitely deeper if you've got Pandora's Star's culture in the back of your mind as an example of where some of this could go.

There's a more-than-usual amount of sex in the book (for reasons the plot makes perfectly clear), but it's hardly gratuitous; what's being written about is almost always the characters' reactions to it, and it only ever goes graphic enough to show what they're reacting to. The title has some good layers of meaning to it, and all the characters seem pretty well-thought-out.

I'd say it was definitely worth my time as a Hamilton fan; if you're looking to try out a sci-fi book for the first time, you'd probably like something else better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misspent Youth.