Stephen's Reviews > Three Hearts and Three Lions

Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: easton-press, audiobook, 1930-1953, fantasy, quests, moorcocks-broken-sword, faeries
Read from April 22 to 24, 2011

PoulAnderson-intro v2

Photobucket"Don't play coy with me Mr. 'one middle name isn't good enough for me.' What the hell does R.R. stand for anyway?"

"Rich and Ridiculously famous." Photobucket

Photobucket"Why you arrogant S.O...."

"Just kidding, Poul. Now what do you want?" Photobucket

PoulAnderson-1 v2

JRRTolkein-3 v2
JRRTolkein-4 v2
JRRTolkein-5 v2
Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Hearts and Three Lions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milo (new) - added it

Milo This was hilarious! Oh man Stephen, you are sooo funny!

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert But seriously, you could swap all the other stuff and just keep The Silmarillion. All the best stories are in there.

message 3: by Milo (last edited Apr 26, 2011 04:57PM) (new) - added it

Milo That's so true. I think that the stories in the Silmarillion, if expanded, would have been much better than LOTR.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert I'm amazed and gratified to find someone who agrees with me!

Plus, Tolkien could teach Anderson the etymology of every word in the review and write an Alliterative verse poem before sunset...

message 5: by Milo (new) - added it

Milo I haven't read any Anderson yet so I'm not in a position to comment on how he stands up to Tolkien. Nonetheless that's an imposing figure to compare oneself against.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert I haven't read this one, which evidently from the review, had a number of influential ideas in it, but what little I have read was competent-mediocre.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky That would make Pennsylvania SO MUCH BETTER. :D

message 8: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Personally, I couldn't finish the Silmarillion. I found it dry and boring. :P I'd love to read your review of it, though. :)

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert It gets easier later on, which is where the best stuff is and in general the prose is better than the worst parts of Lord of the Rings, in my view.

message 10: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I read Three Hearts.... in the late 60's and thought it was fantastic! It's definitely a ground breaking fantasy novel and Anderson continued to write terrific books. Anyone interested in classic SF should get his back catalogue - great review Stephen!

message 11: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Nice Pulp Fiction reference.

Stephen Rachel wrote: "Nice Pulp Fiction reference."

Thanks, Rachel...it seemed appropriate.

message 13: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly LMAO...very funny review.

Stephen Shelly wrote: "LMAO...very funny review."

Thank you, Shelly. I had a lot of fun putting this together. I'm glad you liked it.

message 15: by Apatt (new)

Apatt Looking forward to reading this one!

Stephen i think you will really like it. I was very surprised at how good it was. I like Poul Anderson in general, but this and The Broken Sword are superior works.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Love the review! Guarantee I'd loathe the book, but the review is as good as a Firesign Theater comedy sketch.

Stephen Given that fantasy appears to be your literary kryptonite, I am perfectly satisfied with your enjoyment of the review. This one was fun to create.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's true, I'd rather break out in buboes than read about magiq and dragons and swords and sworcery. *shudder* I read The King of Elfland's Daughter at an impressionable age, and am scarred ever after by the sheer horrificalness of the experience, followed by LOTR's ghastly, ghastly ick-ptui badbadbad prose.

Stephen "ick-ptui"

Heard it often. Not sure I've ever seen it written. Outstanding.

message 21: by Matx (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matx Oh, well done!

message 22: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn That is hilarious

message 23: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan Fantastic review. Thanks for the laugh, Stephen.