Kristen's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

Mar 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

I didn't have sisters, and I grew up in a neighborhood with 17 boys. I remember having a Barbie camper, but GI Joe hijacked it for some jungle missions...I don't know what happened to the Barbie. So, I've always been uncomfortable with the girlfriend friendships and I went into reading this book knowing I'd be in territory I generally try to avoid.....things like missing the smell of a girlfriend's hair or sleeping in one bed with tangled legs or collecting each others tears. The book is a journey through Sidda's "mental typhoon" - trying to resolve if she really knows how to love and having to explore scars from childhood and traveling a road of forgiveness. I cringe at so much self analysis.
I enjoyed the intertwining stories of the mother's childhood and the daughter's childhood...it reminded me a tiny bit of the Joy Luck Club in that way (a far superior book). I also enjoyed the glimpse of Vivi's romance with Jack. The problem I have with the Ya Ya's is that their friendships are exclusionary and with each other they are too honest....where are the jealousy problems? I don't believe these friendships exist. I would have loved to have even more about their husbands reaction to being married to the Ya Ya's. The book was a little enjoyable due to the humor - I loved the jail story! And, I also loved the last paragraph because at least Wells had the right conclusion - after a whole book of analyzing...Sidda lets go of trying to understand. All said and done....I don't think I want to encounter the Ya Ya's in real life....but, I would love to meet Connor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.