Stephanie's Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

Mar 20, 2012

Read from March 18 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

PLEASE visit my blog to read my original post and enter giveaways as I celebrate Fangs, Wands & Fairy Dust's second anniversary. There's rarely if ever a follow requirement for my giveaways but get extra entries if you so kindly do!

Oh, oh oh. There are so many things I want to say about this book. Rarely am I left in such a tizzy when I finish. So this is enthusiastic but not terribly organized. The books is well organized, and we get a well-thought out, well-constructed world with great continuity. The characters are well-developed and could play to type but don't. The writing is also very good, well-balanced with descriptive language nicely meshing with internal monologue and dialogues.

This world's development is hampered by the conditions present in it, the division between predator and prey creating a subsistence economy with sharply divided classes and a lack of art. Technology, such as it is, is available but not advanced.

WICKED AS THEY COME is so romantic; imagine pages and pages of dark deliciousness. It's very sexy although it takes a while to get to actual sex, when that occurs the actual sex is steamy. I would like to read more with expanded accounts.
The world of Sang where Tish is transported reminds me of the film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. Just the world's feel, not the story. It's that same gritty carnival darkness with less skin and a bit of blood.
I didn't really catch the techno vibe of steam-punk, more like mage-punk. In steam-punk there is a pretense of a scientific foundation to all the technology, here it's not really explained. You can assume there's science or not.

Tish goes from being a upstanding nurse to doing what she must to prevent genocide. She chooses a path that brings her freedom and love when she was escaping a relationship with a violent, controlling man. She has to go through the same struggle or darkness she predicts for her clients when telling their fortune. And part of that is discovering her own darkness, understanding the violence of it. It's heady, hot stuff.

And Criminy Stain is like Mr. Darcy mixed with Barnabas Collins, a tempting vampire magician with the body of a male stripper.
Letitia longs for love, but she needs to find herself again. Criminy longs for love and wants to find his other half in it. His love for her is unconditional, his spirit and responsibility are generous, his ingenuity amazing but not infallible. He is a gentleman thief, a rogue with honor. The humans are generally an intolerant lot. A few have honor, but most seem a nasty bunch afraid of people they don't have to fear. Tish, or Letitia is never bigoted in that way, she is bigotted against love, and hampered by loving responsibility. And, oh! The bludbunnies!

Steam-punk, Paranormal Romance or Urban Fantasy Fans, I call this a MUST READ and call for MORE!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.