Turtles All the Way Down's Reviews > Jahanara: Princess of Princesses, India, 1627

Jahanara by Kathryn Lasky

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: entertaining, heart-warming, fun, bitter-sweet, nostalgic
Read on March 20, 2012, read count: Too many to count

I have a test I've barely studied for this thursday, a french essay due tomorrow that I still need to proof read, an essay due friday that I still haven't finished outlining, and I still took time out of my very busy day to read this book from start to finish. That's how much I remember loving this book when I was 12. This is the book that got me hooked on Historical fiction and history itself.

Remembering how fond I was of this book eight years ago, I decided to reread it today, and I'm glad I did. This book is just as good as I remember. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good historical fiction book for a child. It introduces younger readers to new cultures, values, and beliefs while keeping the main character relatable. Just as a warning though, the ending is very bittersweet, there is a polygamous marriage, and mentions of harems and a child being sold for food, so this book might raise some questions about those things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jahanara.