Judy's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Mar 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

I have a horror of not having anything to read which explains why I go on vacation with a loaded Kindle AND a bag of books, plus the addresses of nearby bookstores, and my house looks like the repository for the library overflow. So finding a book where an entire family, the Andreas family of Barnwell, Ohio feels that "there is no problem a library card can't solve" and where each family member is literally never more than an arm's length away from a book was like uncovering a treasure. And, since the father is a well-known Shakespeare scholar and the family communicates with each other through quotes from the Bard, I cheerfully settled down for an evening of reading. In thinking about this book, I was struck by the realization that you can love your sisters (or siblings) and really not like them very much. And the experiences of growing up with brothers and sisters (or in this case, just sisters) becomes such a part of our personalities that in our adult lives, we can often feel as if we are 9, 12, or 15 years old when we interact with each other. Three adult sisters, Rosaline, Bianca, and Cordelia find themselves living back in their childhood home with their parents when their mother becomes ill with breast cancer. Each sister comes home with a secret, that, as in all families, eventually is revealed and they have to adjust their relationships in the light of these new revelations. All three of the sisters are self-involved and conflicted and their personalities definitely reflect their birth order. I really liked the first-person-plural narration and came to like all three of the sisters as the book progressed. Especially when the narration took the reader back into their childhood years and we learn about their relationships as they matured--and how they understood and misunderstood each other. An excellent reflection on the meaning of family and ties that bind us close together and push us far apart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.