♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > While It Lasts

While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

Aug 07, 12

Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Smut MondayClub
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2012 — I own a copy

While It Lasts is a companion novel in the Sea Breeze series. When I first heard that Abbi Glines was writing a book about Cage, I was a little skeptical. Cage is a character we first met in Because of Low, and to be honest, I was not part of his fan club. In fact this is my status update at 31% in Because of Low: “Someone needs to tell Cage this is no way to woo a woman. Cage=Moron!” He was a total man-whore who had a different girl/girls, every time he came into the picture (yes, girls as in pleural!) So yes, I knew I was going to take some definite convincing to warm up to Cage. Thankfully, Abbi never disappoints me, and I fell hard for that boy!

Cage gets into some trouble jeopardizing his scholarship and chances of finishing school by getting a DUI. His coach gives him the option to work at his brother Wilson’s farm, as a punishment and as a condition to keep his scholarship. Wilson is someone who demands respect and hard work, so Cage is not getting off easy. Cage has to bale hay, herd and clean up after cows; miles away from the parties and girls as he’s accustomed to. The only woman in the near vicinity is Eva, the farmer’s daughter. Even if Wilson didn’t tell Cage that she’s completely off limits, Eva herself looks at him like he’s the dirt beneath her fingernails.

Twenty-year old Eva is still grieving over the only love she ever knew, Josh. He was her first love and she was engaged to marry him before he was killed on duty in Bagdad, a year and a half ago. She still wears her rings and finds little enjoyment in life. When Cage shows up on her doorstep, she has no intention of letting him into her heart. Sure he is gorgeous, but he knows it, and she’s seen his type before. Eva is not about to let him use and lose her!

Like I said before, Cage’s previous record was going to be hard for me to overcome to the point where I’d actually like him. Luckily, he came off as sweet and protective in this story. And it certainly didn’t hurt that he oozed devilish charm and charisma. Here’s an example:

He stood up and glanced back over his shoulder. When his eyes locked with mine, a wicked grin touched his lips. “You see somethin’ ya want, baby?” “Maybe. I’m checking things out. Seeing if I’m interested,” I shot back with my own evil grin. Both his dark eyebrows shot up and he turned completely around giving me a view of his sweaty chest. Oh my. That never got old. “I see something I want,” he drawled as he came toward me. My heartbeat started that silly fluttery thing it did when he got near me. “You do?” I asked as he stopped in front of me and leaned in. “Hell yeah, I do,” he murmured. “I love chocolate.”…..His arm reached out beside me and took the piece of chocolate cake I’d brought him.

For some reason, Eva was a girl who commanded his respect. Probably because she wasn’t easy like all the other girls he’s come across. Also, once he found out her sad story, he really wanted to be the one to make her happy again. After being slowly wooed and seduced by Cage, Eva finds that she’s coming back to life again, but guilt feelings over Josh hold her back.

Another reason I gave Cage a chance is because we find out some of the reasons behind his behavior. Because of being neglected by his mother and treated like nothing, he decided to never let anyone close enough to give them the chance to hurt him. So he just used girls up, never letting them mean a thing. Low, his best friend, was the only exception; she loved him unconditionally since they were young.

When reading an Abbi Glines story, I know I’m always in for a fun read full of sexy banter and steaming hot chemistry; one that will leave me with a satisfied grin on my face when I’m through. I think this is Abbi’s hottest story to date. It was a scorcher!

I should say that this was not a YA story. I think this falls under the New Adult or Adult genre and there are some explicit scenes in this story. So if you’re young or if that kind of thing bothers you, consider yourself warned.

You can find this review and more at The Readers Den.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While It Lasts.

07/31/2012
1.0% "Cage you better win my heart because I really didn't like you in Because of Low!" 12 comments
07/31/2012
25.0% ""You were the one listening at my door. What was it you were hoping to hear, Eva? If I'd known you were coming in hopes of a show I could have been more prepared." I'd like to see that show!" 4 comments
08/01/2012
91.0% ""Do I get to decide the ways you can make it up to me?" "As long as it's naughty," he replied." 18 comments

Jenn Abbi put up a teaser on her blog from this book: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jenn! :)

message 4: by Hilda (new)

Hilda I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Rachel! <3 This seems like a fun book for light reading. Can't wait to read your full review! :)

Mary Oh Rachel this had me drooling beyond normal!! Damn that piercing will stay with me for life!!! Damnn I love cage!!!

Kristina Snyder I can't wait to read this.

Akanksha❤ Søren♰ Is it a continuity from Breathe or/any Because of Low? Because I'm still to read Because of Low but I'm itching to read this first

♥Rachel♥ You don't have to read Breathe first but I think you should read Because of Low before reading this. We're introduced to Cage in Because of Low and I think it would be hard to completely understand his character without reading B of L. You'll really love Because of Low, it good and spicy too! :)

Akanksha❤ Søren♰ Great, Thank youu! :D
I'll start B of L tomorrow and then head on to While It Lasts after that

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Your changes in feelings towards Cage, remind me of my changes in feelings towards Gabriel Merrick in Spark- I really disliked him in storm. Brilliant review!

Eunice Lovely review, Rachel! I do think this is Abbi Glines's sexiest book too! Haha! Yeah, definitely a Mature-YA/New-Adult. Although I had some issues with Cage he was still able to touch my heart especially when he thought Eva rejected him and thought no one really wants him. ^^

♥Rachel♥ I know! I felt really bad for him in that part. One thing about Abbi though, you know she's not going to leave you hanging and always give you a HEA. Love!! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam! I think Easy might be a good choice for you with the "new adult" genre. If I remember correctly, you weren't a huge fan of Abbi's writing? Although, this doesn't have a cheating scenario like The Vincent Boys did, so you may enjoy this one. It's definitely a lot of fun. :)

♥Rachel♥ Rachel wrote: "Your changes in feelings towards Cage, remind me of my changes in feelings towards Gabriel Merrick in Spark- I really disliked him in storm. Brilliant review!"

Thank you Rachel. I still need to read Spark! Love those Merrick boys. :)

message 15: by Laura (last edited Aug 07, 2012 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Lovely review, Rachel! Well put! I kinda fell in love with the man-whore! :D
I have to ask something—it is really one of my pet peeves, but I am curious if it bugged anyone else. (view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Laura. (view spoiler)

Laura Phew…(view spoiler)

♥Rachel♥ Pun away. Especially with Cage. ;)

message 19: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Beautiful review, Rachel! Oh, cheating scenario in The Vincent Boys is always the thing that keep me off from that book. :D Sam, you should totally pick Easy! The romance is very touching and sweet. <3

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Hilda. I felt the same way when I read the description of The Vincent Boys but I ended up totally loving the story because of how it was done. :)

message 21: by Arlene (new)

Arlene One day I'll pick up a Abbi Glines book. I feel like I'm missing out on a good thing. So glad you ended up enjoying this book. Great review Rachel!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Arlene. She's an addictive guilty pleasure. I'd pick up The Vincent Boys first if you ever decide to read one of her stories. Although, Because of Low would be a good one to start with too. It's the story before this one.

message 23: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit I'm glad Cage eventually changed your mind, it's hard once you've got a certain impression of a character already! Lovely review! I really need to pick up more of Glines books soon! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jasprit. I wonder what you'd think of her books. I think a lot of our friends are divided on her. I wonder which side you'd land on. :)

message 25: by Susanne (last edited Jan 04, 2014 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susanne Wonderful review, Rachel! I can see that we was both charmed by that quote xD xx

♥Rachel♥ Susanne wrote: "Wonderful review, Rachel! I can see that we was both charmed by that quote xD xx"

Thanks, Susanne! Cage was one hot cowboy! :)

message 27: by Fatimah (new)

Fatimah Amirah i was crazy in love with cage from the book "because of low" and thank god for this book! make me go all crazy !

message 28: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Jan 14, 2014 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Fatimah wrote: "i was crazy in love with cage from the book "because of low" and thank god for this book! make me go all crazy !"

Hope you enjoy his story, Fatimah. Cage was pretty delicious! :)

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wonderful review, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ Kelly wrote: "Wonderful review, Rachel! :)"

Thank you, Kelly! :)

message 31: by Sonia ღ (new)

Sonia ღ Awesome review, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ Sonia ღ wrote: "Awesome review, Rachel! :)"

Thank you, Sonia! :)