Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}'s Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

8282085
If you hate any of the following, I suggest you don’t read this book.

Insta-love
Weak Heroine
A boring plot
Weak Character Building
A Stalker Love Interest
This book has all the above. It’s like Twilight but substitute vampires for trolls.
And yes. I said trolls.

I’m pretty sure the Hocking used trolls because ghosts, vampires, and werewolves have been so overused. Trolls are new. The problem I had with the so-called “trolls” was that there were no troll like characteristics.

Even Twilight Vampires were had some vampire qualities.

When I think trolls, I think big hairy, greenish brown thing with a club.

Switched’s trolls (or Trylle), they are apparently beautiful people with slightly untamable hair and have a tendency for not liking shoes.

I see a big difference.
All the characteristics of Hocking’s trolls:

unmanageable hair
picky eaters
tendency to like being barefoot
attitude

I’m really sorry but I don’t see any vaguely troll-y things. I would have liked them to be more troll-y. Really. I think they are more like Aprilynne Pike’s Wings’s fairies. If I remember correctly, they are picky eaters, like going barefoot, and are in touch with nature and all the jazz.

Hocking’s trolls also have changelings. I find myself replacing troll with fairy. Trylle = fairy pretending to be the big, bad trolls.

Characters:
Wendy was a wreck. An absolute Mary Sue. The last half of the book was spent feeling sorry for herself and going on and on about Finn. It was nauseous. Wend had no charming qualities. I seriously wouldn’t care if she was about to jump off a bridge.
Wendy was kicked out of many schools because of her “strong personality”. Er, what personality is it?

I haven’t read such a weak character since Bella Swan.

Finn. Your classic Edward. Seriously. Prone to stalker-ish behavior – check. Prone to leaving the main character (leaving her almost depressed) – check. unbelievable handsomeness – check. Some sort of paranormal creature – check and check.

I liked none of the characters, felt for none of the characters, and basically I didn’t care what happened to any of them.

Plot:
If I had to describe it in one word, I’d probably use boring or uncreative.

The plot follows a simple path:

Girl isn’t happy with her life at school
New boy arrives at school
Boy exposes himself for a paranormal creature
Goes off to magical world and something amazing happens
Girl and boy get together
Boy leaves
Girl sulks
Boy comes back
Battle
Girl runs off
*yawns*

What l liked/disliked:
Liked:

No Vampires/Werewolves
Trolls are new
Disliked:

Bad Characters
Weak Plot
Trolls? More like fairies

In conclusion:
I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone, unless you want a good laugh or two. Let this review be a cautionary tale: read the reviews before picking up a book.

—————————————————————————

Favorite Character: Rhys

Favorite Quote:

“Finn: I look at you because I can’t look away.
Wendy: That’s kinda creepy.
Finn: I will work on being less creepy then?
- Wendy (showing some intelligence) and Finn

Rating:

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

03/20/2012 page 100
33.0% "So far, the chances of a favorable reivew are very low :|"
03/21/2012 page 227
75.0% "Ugh, really, really bad."
03/21/2012 page 227