Denise's Reviews > A Summer to Die

A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry

F_50x66
Mar 20, 12

I read this book not really knowing what to expect. I knew it would be a coming of age novel that dealt with the issue of loss from the view of a young girl, but I was surprised to see that there were several other very well developed characters who the reader could bond with even though they were not the protagonists. Meg, whose view point the story is told from, has to deal with those trivial teen years whilst having just moved to a new house as she comes to terms with her older sister, whom she's always had a tough relationship with, getting very sick. I really thought this'd be the classic situation where the reader only relates to the protagonist because we get so little well-rounded characterization of the other characters, but as it turns out I adored Molly by the end of the book just as much as Meg who eventually learns that she's always loved her sister even if it took losing her to see that. The characters are deep, complex, and relatable which makes this story even more heartwarming and heartwrenching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Summer to Die.