Brittany's Reviews > My Two Worlds

My Two Worlds by Sergio Chejfec

Mar 25, 12

Read from March 20 to 25, 2012

This book was a pleasant and peaceful read for me- something I think all writers must delve into. Through the narrator's stream of consciousness we are given a glimpse into the mind of this writer while he walks through a park in Brazil. We see him relate himself to the things he sees, from fish to boats to other people, in ways that convey an uncanny sense of intimate familiarity with a completely unknown place. With this novel, Chejfec forces us to recognize that we do not live in just one world, that in fact there are realities beyond what we superficially see, and that we "know nothing of the variable worlds we'll inhabit."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Two Worlds.

Quotes Brittany Liked

Sergio Chejfec
“For me parks are good when first of all, they're not impeccable, and when solitude has appropriated them in such a way that solitude itself becomes an emblem, a defining trait for walkers, sporadic at best, who in my opinion should be irrevocably lost or absorbed in thought, and a bit confused, too, as when one walks through a space that's at once alien and familiar.”

Sergio Chejfec
“Because sometimes the memory of what one has read tempers the actual experience, and the experience itself becomes, more than something physical, the realization of the reading...”

Sergio Chejfec
“In general, I know that when speaking of private and opposing worlds, one tends to refer to divided, sometimes even irreconcilable facets of personality or of the spirit, each with its corresponding secret value and its psychological, metaphysical, political, or simply practical- or even pathological- content. But in my case there was neither a moral nor existential disjunctive, what was more, I saw that my two worlds weren't separated in an equal or reciprocal way; neither did one world linger in the shadows or in private as the flip side of the other, the visible one, who knows which; nor would they seek to impose themselves over the other or to merge as one, but force or not, as tends to occur in these cases. Nothing of the sort; they seemed a nearly abnormal example of coexistence, of adaptive tendency and of absolute absence of contrasts. I took all this into consideration, and it seemed worrisome and insoluble. . . But an instant later I resigned myself, thinking that when all was said and done I ought to bow to these conditions, because just as we cannot choose our moment to be born, we also know nothing of the variable worlds we'll inhabit.”