Danae's Reviews > Leaving

Leaving by Karen Kingsbury

Mar 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

These were on sale via Kindle for a low price a few weeks ago so I thought I'd give them a try. Up to now I'd read only one other Karen Kingsbury book and that was a stand-alone title.

I have now read 2 books of the series and am working on third. I have enjoyed reading them... the storylines are engaging and I like the characters for the most part. But they are a tad bit too modern for my taste. Kingsbury seems to feel the need to provide every last detail, including worship song titles and lyrics (of songs that are currently popular) and brand names of clothing. This bugs me because it not only leave nothing to the imagination, but in a few years the books will be quite dated.

The other thing that bugs me is that these books are just too Christian. Kingsbury goes out of her way to specify that everything is Christian... Christian school, Christian counselor, even Christian summer camp. Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian and I know Kingsbury is too. I just don't feel the need to identify everything I do by that title. I think her writing suffers as a result, and she inadvertently teaches that living in a Christian bubble is OK. The other book I read was not like that, so it surprised me that this one was

With that said, the books are a welcome diversion from the weightier literature I tend to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving.