Sam's Reviews > The Glimpse

The Glimpse by Claire Merle

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: i-wanna-read-so-bad, uk, 2012-release, e-galley
Read on April 21, 2012

I'm finding it very hard to sum up this book because of all the thoughts running through my mind. I've been crammed full of dystopian dilemmas and I think I might just explode. The Glimpse is definitely a book you should try out if you want to live in another world for a few hours. Do not be fooled into thinking that this book is a light contemporary by looking at the cover because it's set in one of the most complicated worlds I've ever read about.

So, basically, okay, maybe it's not basic, but I'll attempt to write a basic summary for the book. Ana, a 17-year-old girl, has been living her life thinking she was a Pure, someone who has no chance of having a mental illness. But when she finds out that that there was an error in her DNA test, she thinks her life is over. She could be banished to the land where the 'crazies' live, she could lose everything that meant something to her, she could lose the boy who she's been promised to, Jasper. And when he is abducted, Ana's father claims that he is doing everything he can to find Jasper but it's not enough. Ana sets off on a journey. A dangerous journey to find the boy she's liked for so many years. But in a land of possibilities, will Ana fall for the boy who could help her find Jasper?

And that's just the surface! The book goes into incredible detail with beautifully described scenes and exciting characters.

There's just one thing that I found irritating. The first chapter. The Glimpse just has one of them beginnings that you can't really understand or get into, but it did get better. Around page 50 I just couldn't put it down. I had grown to know the character's personalities and I really wanted to know more about them. Also, some of the dialog did make me want to fall asleep....I did manage to stay awake but I just wish there were less science-talk...I didn't mind some of it but I just think there could have been less.

For me, Ana's relationship with Jasper could have been better, but then again, she might not have met....*drumroll* Cole! Yes, Cole is one of those amazing guys you can't get out of your head. Oh, and not to fear! There are no love-triangles. Which I'm sure many readers don't wait.

So think to yourself: Do I have too much time on my hands? Do I need an interesting book that can keep me entertained in the space of that time? Do I want a unique dystopian? Do I want a book with a guy that is totally amazing and awesome? THEN, this book is for you.

Overall, The Glimpse is an exciting new addition to the genre that I can't wait for you guys to read and enjoy. I'm giving this book 4 stars instead of 5 because I did feel lost at times and wish that some of the details and dialog weren't so complicated. Claire Merle has done a great job at delivering a book that is different and will stand out for both it's gorgeous cover and chilling plot!

Read more of my reviews at Falling Books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glimpse.