Bg's Reviews > The Telling Pool

The Telling Pool by David Clement-Davies

Aug 10, 2008

bookshelves: favorites

Though I'm not a big Saxon, King Arther, Knights of the Round Table sorta reader, I still really enjoyed this book. A little bit of magic, coming of age, romance, betrayal, and history set the tone for this book. Little Rhodri is a very simply farm boy with loving parents who run a farm and train falcons for the Lord of their land. One day, going into town for a festival Rhodri gets his fortune read by the creepy old hag and what she tells with the cards scares him more then anything. As time moves on, some of the men, Rhodri's father included, are called away for a battle in the holy city leaving Rhodri and his mother to fend for themselves.
Rhodri goes though a lot but really does try his best. Its not until he comes across a hermit and a magical pool of water does the real adventure and betrayal begin.
This book moves at a dream like pace and Rhodri is a really great character so the book stays interesting. I liked this book for the myth and magic of it all but also the drama between his parents and what he knows he must do to set things right in his family.
Again this is a very overlooked book but I say give it a read. It may seem a little slow in the beginning but once it gets going its hard to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Telling Pool.