Christina (Reading Thru The Night)'s Reviews > Five Red Herrings

1020619
Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: 2012, disappointing, mystery
Read from March 20 to 24, 2012

Oh dear dear Dorothy. I had such high expectations for you. I was the most excited about March Mystery Madness so I could indulge in some mystery legacies...namely, Christie and Sayers.

Due to Borders going out of business, I stocked up on a handful of them. Not knowing which one to begin with [I shortly realized afterward that there is some order, I just don't know if it's meaningful in the grande scheme of the collection?] I grabbed Five Red Herrings.

And you fellow book nerds! I was sorta meh about the whole thing. I mean, don't get me wrong, Lord Wimsey is freakin' hysterical. I can see why he has a devoted following. I totally dig some of his quips and his nonchalant attitude. But the language really bogged me down. Wimsey is on vacation at some small Scottish artiste town and the dialect was FRUSTRATING. I would find myself reading some of the convos out loud just so I could figure out what was being said. Yeah, I had no patience for that whatsoever.

Also, there were a lot of time tables...NOT like multiplication. I could have handled that. But the process of figuring out the mystery centered around train fares. What time did this train come and where'd it stop and who got off and would that be enough time to get to point A and then back again to point B. *facepalm* I wanted to scream ENOUGH ENOUGH. I mean, CHARTS people! I can't keep up with these characters when I don't KNOW them.

I THINK that I might have liked this book more if I could keep up with all of the information. Quite honestly, it made me feel a little slow trying to power through it.

I'm not going to hold this book against Ms. Sayers though. I have a handful more of her books on my shelves that I'll eventually get through. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Red Herrings.

03/20/2012 page 43
12.0% "I am having a wee bit of trouble following the Irish-speak."
03/24/2012 page 142
39.0% ""sick relatives ought to be forbidden by law". Wimsey definitely makes the novel as the train times & locations are confusing the smarts outta me."