Lady's Reviews > The Dragon Heir

The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

Oct 29, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary-fantasy
Read from March 27 to 31, 2012

I like this world and the characters a lot but this is my least favorite in the series.

Mostly it's just that there's good few good moments. There's plenty of tension and conflict and things going wrong and looking bleak. But it's not tempered by moments of solace or comfort or a spare breath of peace. Even the one segment that could be considered peaceful is tainted by lies and uncertainty.

Also, I don't like characters who make ignorant choices. It's understandable and Cinda Williams China justifies it in the character so it doesn't seem like a contrived choice to create conflict. But I still didn't like it at all. I would have liked the character more if they'd made a different choice.

But the end is really good and I liked how the story unravelled itself. Probably because of the lack of good moments throughout I wanted more time in the resolution. But the climax was cool and a good moment in light of the series as a whole. I also liked that the story was surprising even though it's exactly what you expect.

Her clothes still smoked from the wizard’s assault. But to him, she always smelled of flowers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Heir.