Sarah's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Jul 19, 07

Recommended for: People that like a quick easy read, and are interested in learning more about Autism.

I just finished reading this book for the second time. I loved it the first time, and I loved it the second time. I organize a Co-Ed book club in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and it was recommended to read. We just had our meeting to discuss it, and everyone seemed to enjoy it on some level or another, and no one had anything negative to say about it. I was very surprised to read some of the reviews on this site dissing this book, especially the review where someone mentioned it was for "Literary Snobs." I couldn't disagree with that more. I think it's possible that it was recommended to that reviewer by a "literary snob" and therefore, she got that impression from that, but I could also be completely wrong.

I believe the purpose of this book wasn't even to make a huge literary statement, but to broaden the general public's understanding of what it might be like to have autism. The author worked for many years very closely with individuals with autistim, and he writes the book through the eyes of a 15 year old boy with autism. He describes the world from his vantage point, and uses images to clarify what his thought process is like, which to me give the reader an idea that his line of thinking is much different than the average persons.

The story is very simple, but why I think it is written well, is because there always seems to be some level of anticipation as to what is going to happen next. It is at the simplest level a detective story. So, it keeps you wondering why certain things happened to this boy. Like he tells you things, and you yourself think, "huh, that's kind of odd." So, you'll feel a little puzzled at times, but the character keeps investigating and eventually helps himself and the reader understand the whole picture.

So anyways, I think it's a great book. My favorite, in fact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I totally agree. The author was so good at presenting his protagonist as a real person. Too often, if we can categorize people we can also ignore them. Maybe we can feel superior to them, as well. After the first few pages, I strongly identified with Christopher.

Christopher's challenges in trying to get to London reminded me of when I first lived in Germany. I knew the language, and thought that would be enough to get on with. I found myself overwhelmed by a whole different set of rules and expectations. I spent the first week eating at McDonald's just because it was easy and familiar.

Like you, I don't get some of the negative reviews people have posted for this book.