Traci's Reviews > The Right Stuff

Sep 01, 08

bookshelves: one-book-one-chicago, non-fiction
Recommended for: everyone
Read in September, 2008

9.1.08 I wish I could give half stars because then I would give this book four and half. I absolutely loved it, the half star deduction from five is only because I had a really hard time finishing the last 40 pages or so. They seemed to drag a little. Otherwise, this was a fantastic book. As I mentioned before, I really thought it would be dry (perhaps that was my issue with those stubborn last pages) but it wasn't. Tom Wolfe's narrative was funny and straightforward and I breezed through completely caught up in the journey of the Mercury 7 from test pilots to astronauts. It's hard to imagine the fervor and excitement that surrounded those early manned space flights and I don't think we've too much in the way of it since. Space travel has become routine, and it's only when something goes wrong that most people bother to take notice. That's not how it was with the Mercury program though. Everyone was caught up in it. The only reason for ticker tape parades now is when a sports team wins a championship, not for scientific and intellectual achievement.

Mostly I'm really glad that I picked The Right Stuff up. It was a complete surprise and I highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you have an interest in the space program.

Update 8.21.08: I am really enjoying this. I though it would be dry and somewhat boring, but it is nothing of the sort. Tom Wolfe tells a great story.

This is the Fall selection for "One Book, One Chicago" so I'm going to make an attempt and try and go to one of the many discussions that will be held throughout the city's libraries in October.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Right Stuff.