Ryan's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 01 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

Initially I thought, “How am I going to get through this book?” I had a couple of friends ask me if I was reading the dictionary when they saw the size of the book. But after I got into the storyline and got to understand the characters, I didn’t want it to end. Stephen King did a great job in entrapping me into the story.

When I think of Stephen King novels, the ones that come to mind are It, Pet Sematary, Carrie, The Shinning. All of these novels are horror novels, which I generally don’t care for. But King has definitely shown me a different side of himself with this novel. It was well thought out and well laid out. Throughout the novel it was obvious that King had done proper research to support the storyline and keep it realistic. Although some facts have been changed slightly, to enhance the story, most people would not notice unless they themselves have researched JFK and Oswald to a good extent.

11/22/63 starts out in current time (2011) and you meet the main character of the story, Jake Epping. He is a high school teacher that also teaches GED classes for adults. Shortly into the book you meet a character that plays a major role in Jake’s mindset, Harry Dunning. He is the high school janitor that that is also one of his adult GED students. Harry’s past has an important role on Jake deciding to take the journey he chooses to go on.

Jake is presented with the opportunity to not only change Harry’s life, but the opportunity to change history as we know it. Al Templeton, the owner of Al’s Diner, calls Jake and shows him the “rabbit hole” into the past (1958). This is where Jake has the ability to change everything.

I thought the novel was written very well by King. He has written it in the first person point of view, as a memoir of Jake Epping and his journey into the past. You like and trust the characters the Jake likes, and dislike the ones he dislikes. King has done a great job writing it without letting you see anything else that Jake wouldn’t be able to see or know. You feel as if you are with Jake every step of the way.

I enjoyed this novel very much. At times in the first part of the book I was a little bored, this didn’t las t long once I saw the connections throughout. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a very enjoyable read. It will appeal to a lot of readers of different genres, it is suspenseful, has a love story, there is action, and it has a lot of US history in it, form the late 50’s and early 60’s. If you are like me and not a giant King fan, give this one a try, he will show you he is capable of a lot of different stuff, while still being an extraordinary writer that knows how to pull you in and see the story as he intends it. I don’t think you can go wrong by choosing this novel.

Ryan
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

04/07/2012 page 132