Aaron's Reviews > Reflections of a Rock Lobster: A Story about Growing Up Gay

Reflections of a Rock Lobster by Aaron Fricke

1196851
Mar 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

I ended up picking this up after reading a story in the local paper about the fact that it had been turned into a stage play. Fricke is from the town where I am now working, and this is the story of what happened in 1980 when he decided that he wanted to bring another guy to the prom as a date to the senior prom.

The book was written only a short time after the events took place so Fricke was still quite young at the time of the writing. I thought he did a good job of summarizing events without only presenting his perspective of what had happened. What I thought was particularly great was the fact that he told the story of his whole life up to that point, which gave great insight into how he personally dealt with his homosexuality as well as how the rest of the community dealt with homosexuality in general. It was not the most enlightened time.

While I do think that times have become a lot better, I don't know that today's teens really have life all that much easier than Fricke did. There is no question that he helped open some doors and pushed aside ignorance. In some ways, I think this would be a great book to introduce in schools where gay-bashing and bullying are a major issue because its themes really speak to what schools are trying to emphasize.

It is really worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reflections of a Rock Lobster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackitere (new) - added it

Jackitere Funny how books come into our lives. I heard mention of the book in a Facebook group. After just a bit of Googling I was following Aaron Fricke on Facebook and "liked" the "Reflections of a Rock Lobster" page. Since I have purchased the book and been in contact with Aaron. He and my family plan to meet and discuss his book and possibly see about getting it into the high schools.