Kristine Pratt's Reviews > Northlanders, Vol. 6: Thor's Daughter

Northlanders, Vol. 6 by Brian Wood

May 24, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in May, 2012

I haven't read a lot of graphic novels and in reading this one, I've discovered a treasure. I will have to look for more of this series, from this publisher.

There are three distinct stories in this book, all of them featuring the historical period and locale of Vikings - between 880 and 1000 in years (or thereabouts). These stories have nothing to do with each other, so I will talk about them separately.

The Siege of Paris captured my attention and I found myself devouring it, wanting to know how they would take the tower, or even if they would. The characters are strong with deep characterization. I found myself rooting for them to win out against the French and to take the tower. Excellent storytelling on all fronts.

The Hunt was emotional. I wanted to cry at the end, and I understood what the hunter felt. Gripping read, and something that left me wanting to know what would happen from there. Again, excellent.

The last story, Thor's Daughter, was lacking. I didn't connect with her and felt the tale being told was rushed. We find out her past and settle in for more but it's already over. This story is the one that lost one star on my review for the book. I think it really was too ambitious for the space given and needed a lot more time to set up the story and make us really care for her and the challenge she faced.

Overall, lovers of graphic novels and history should enjoy these tales. It's an excellent combination and yes I would recommend this book. I want more!

(I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway and am really glad I did!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northlanders, Vol. 6.