BoekenTrol's Reviews > Het kwaad

Het kwaad by Jan Guillou

Sep 21, 08

bookshelves: library-books
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: found it in the library
Read in September, 2008, read count: once

I must admit that I like Guillou in general before I start writing my review.
This book has not changed my mind at all. On the contrary. This was a book that cought me from page one. Not only the story, but also the ease it seems to be written with. The author uses every day language, no decorations, he just tells what he has to tell.
The story of a boy that is severely beaten by his father, and how he survives that. Simultaneously that same boy is part of a group that terrorizes others at school and commits criminal acts.
When all comes out, he is sent to bording school. He looks forward to it, being away from his father and the never stopping beatings. Until he finds, that boarding school is even worse: there's not only one, but there is a whole counsil that tries to break him.
How he fights the system, stands up to it and faces the consequenses, it cought me. Despite what happened in the past and what he is going through now, he finds a friend there. They have long conversations, stand up for each other and almost untill the end of their time at boarding school they are together. He takes revenge for what the board did to his friend, but in a way that noone can pin it down to him. Only on his last day he admits his deeds, just before walking out for good.
But the best scene I found the final confrontation with his father. When coming home, his father thought to go on with him in the old way. He forgot, or didn't want to admit, that his son grew up, got stronger. So, when they stood face to face, Erik only talked. Talked about what he was going to do. And his father already broke, not used to any comment, any reply and out of fear.
Whether the fight really occurred, the book doesn't describe. For me this was a happy ending enough. No need to go on any futher, since the point was made: he won, finally.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Het kwaad.