Emily's Reviews > A Short History of the World

A Short History of the World by Christopher Lascelles

Mar 20, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, non-fiction
Read from March 30 to April 14, 2012

Full disclosure: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program.

As someone with an interest in history and maybe a slightly better than average knowledge basis, I was excited and nervous to read this book. I was excited to fill in gaps in my knowledge but nervous that the book would gloss over or super-simplify things or not keep my interest. But the book really was everything it promised to be: "succinct yet broad." The book provided a good jumping off point for topics that I wanted to learn more about and a basic understanding of things I was less interested in. The way it was written in short sections with a topic heading made it easy to put down and pick up if I didn't have a lot of time to read at any given point in my day. The timeline in the back really helped to tie everything together. The book did seem slightly western-centric but explained this by saying that there is just less information about those times and places (ie, Native American cultures before the Vikings). I would recommend this to anyone who wants to brush up on any part of their history. I've already recommended it to my mom and sister who are both excited to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of the World.