Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want

Ask For It by Linda Babcock

Mar 20, 12

Read in March, 2012

I liked this book so much I did two blog posts about it. (http://anyshinything.com/2012/03/16/i...)

Here's a horrifying fact, quoting from the book: "This bias without malice starts early. In a study, school children were asked to perform a small task and then pay themselves what they thought they deserved. (First graders were asked to award themselves Hershey’s Kisses.)In first, fourth, seventh and tenth grades, girls consistently paid themselves 30% – 78% less than boys."

How does that make you feel about your daughters and granddaughters?

Here's the bottom line: the authors DOCUMENT that women and men both discriminate against women (it's ingrained, not intentional; they call it "bias without malice") and the only way to overcome that is for women to simply ASK. Start asking for a better deal. Men do it FOUR TIMES as often as women, and that changes both the money they save and earn, and also their feeling of satisfaction with life.

What makes this book an easy, good read is the number of great anecdotes in it. I like stories of people who are struggling with the issue. It helps non-fiction more interesting. This book is replete with inspiring anecdotes. Also, the authors write in a companionable, funny, down-to-earth voice. It's like reading a self-help guide put together by your smart friend.

But more importantly, authors Babcock and Laschever document and prove their case at every turn, and then they give you solid tips for learning to improve your life through negotiation. Whether it's at a yard sale, getting a better table at a restaurant, bartering services, or getting the job, raise, or promotion you deserve, they tell you how to do it.

I REALLY recommend this book, and I recommend you give it to your daughters and granddaughters to read as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask For It.