Bhakta Jim's Reviews > Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

Mar 20, 2012

Read in September, 2016

This is my favorite Philip K. Dick novel, though it may not be his best. Jason Taverner, a celebrity in the mold of Johnny Carson, is possibly the most well known person on Earth. After an incident with an ex-girlfriend he wakes up in a seedy hotel in a world much like the one he left, except he doesn't seem to exist and nobody has ever heard of him.

Eventually this is explained, but if you expect the explanation to make any sense or actually explain anything, you don't know Dick.

The novel concerns itself mostly with what the protagonist (he's too unlikeable to be a hero) does about the situation.

The novel takes place in 1988, but it is unlike any 1988 I lived through or could ever have existed. The United States is a police state. There are forced labor camps. It is possible to own a flying car that can take you to Switzerland in a few hours. A homosexual man has a painting of Richard Nixon ascending into Heaven. Talking toys give remarkably good advice. Drugs can change reality, not just for the person taking them, but for everyone else too.

There is an internal logic to this novel that makes the reader accept it, just to see where it's all going, like you would accept the existence of a Ministry Of Silly Walks in a Monty Python sketch.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.

09/15/2016 marked as: read