Jeffrey's Reviews > Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword

M 50x66
Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel, science-fiction, read-in-2012
Read on March 20, 2012, read count: 1

This entry in the ongoing series focuses first on a character development arc for Yorick, trying to explain some behaviors on his part using some basic psychoanalyis and extreme intervention techniques, amd then switches the scene to Arizona to take on the classic western American militia type.

The first story is facile and it seems an attempt to break down the virile-yet-chaste archetype that I didn't really see Yorick falling into While it provides some limited backstory for Yorick, I don't feel the series was enhanced for the telling.

The second half, on the subject of a group of Arizona militiawomen taking over I40 is actually very well done and is one of the brighter spots in this series. While I wouldn't say it provides any sympathy for the militia members, it does make them believable characters given their limited page count. It also gives Allison some much deserved focus and provides for some interesting momentum for the next volume.

While the series remains a library, not buy, book, I actually look forward to reading the next one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

03/20/2012 page 104
72.0% "I'll admit it. I thought "Safeword" was going to just be a pun..."