Karla's Reviews > Fifty-one Shades: A Parody

Fifty-one Shades by Andrew Shaffer

Mar 20, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, humor, fanfiction
Recommended to Karla by: Katie(babs)
Read on March 20, 2012

OMG, hilarious. I never got past the first chapter in the original book, but that doesn't make the parody any less fucking hilarious. :D If I quoted my favorite parts, it'd be the whole thing. GO READ IT, even if you didn't give in to the 50 Shades hype. You've probably heard enough about it second-hand to still get the jokes.

***

I walk through the glass doors and into the lobby, which is also floor-to-ceiling glass and steel. This fascinates me, because buildings back in Portland are made of grass and mud.

I turn my neck and look out of the glass window, which overlooks the Seattle skyline. It’s amazing how I can at once be in downtown Seattle, and yet see the skyline of the entire city out the window. Is it some sort of optical illusion? Whatever it is, it’s amazing. Holy popsicle sticks.

He’s young, he’s sexy – he’s the total package. First, he can’t be more than thirty. He’s tall, dressed impeccably in a tailored gray suit, a black tie with smiley faces on it, tousled brown hair, and is staring me down with brilliant gray eyes. He’s the kind of guy you want to write fanfic about.

“I was worried that you would get lost. I know how you get lost on your way to the bathroom sometimes.” She’s talking about the time I squatted and peed in the kitchen. It was only that one time, and I was on shrooms. So unfair!

“Most times, my mind is just an ongoing, present-tense, first-person monologue. It’s like I’m writing a novel, constantly, but only in my brain.”

One minute I was walking along, happy to be alive – and the next, my life flashed before my eyes. I’m not that interesting, so the slideshow was pretty short, but still.

And even the author's note was pretty brill:
New episodes serialized every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, until a publisher offers me a fat stack of cash money for the book. Then I’ll sell out, take the free chapters down, and change the characters’ names to Edward and Bella.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty-one Shades.

Kristen I had no idea there was a parody written about this book. I'll have to read it. It sounds funny.

message 2: by Audrey (new)

Audrey OMG, the smiley face tie!

message 3: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Im a 50 Shades fan, but this already made me laugh.