Aimee's Reviews > Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

Mar 22, 12

Read from March 20 to 22, 2012

I have always enjoyed reading Anna Quindlen's books and this one is now my favorite book by her. In a series of essays Quindlen talks about what it means to be a woman today and deal with growing older. Many topics are covered including girlfriends, marriage, being a mother, faith, and dealing with loss. Each topic is discussed with incite and humor and I found myself agreeing with her ideas so many times throughout the book.

My favorite essay was titled Stuff and in it Quindlen talks about all of the things she has collected throughout the years and how so much of it is just extra stuff that she really doesn't need. She talks about trying to live more simply with less clutter and avoiding societies push to buy more and more things we really don't need. I have felt the same way for a while and have tried to buy less things and simplify my home, not an easy task with three kids in the house!

I would recommend this book to any women who is in their 40s or older, I think it will resonate with them more. Though Quindlen is talking about getting ready to turn sixty, I am in my forties and still found the book had lots of meaning for me, especially the parts dealing with her children. Like Quindlen I have a girl and two boys and I could totally relate to the stories she tells about them.

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake is a wonderful comfort read filled with humor and Quindlen's ability at observations that will resonate with many woman today. After reading this book I really felt like I got to know Quindlen as a person and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake.