Emma's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

May 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club
Read from March 20 to April 16, 2012

I was really looking forward to reading this book, it's subject matter is one in which I wouldn't necessarily choose, which is why I thought it would be an interesting read.

Unfortunately, I was left extremely disappointed. The book is a constant stream of letters from Eva, the mother to her husband, Franklin. In which she goes back in time to the beginning of their relationship to try and work out what had happened and how their son, Kevin, turned out the way he did. I found at the start of the book Eva's need to over describe everything pretty hard going. Which in turn, made me begin to dislike her and found Eva very stuck up and self assured.

I couldn't even like any of the other characters and was always longing for more context, instead of an English lesson in long descriptive words. I did however find Kevin rather interesting yet pretty annoying at the same time.

I don't want to give much away, as everyone's opinions are different and you really need to make your own minds up. But for me, I think this book could have been so much better, the subject of nature v's nurture has a lot of potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.