Lotus's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Apr 15, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: vampire
Read from September 20 to 26, 2012

Louis is so damaged by his immortality in this book and it's a hard fact to turn away from. All he wanted was an end to his mortal suffering, yet what he was given was prolonged and ultimately bitter. I've seen the movie and was hoping to find something more in Louis but there was nothing. His lament was just so constant.

Claudia's frustration at her situation and Louis' suffering was palpable. I feel more for her plight than any other. To be a child forever would leave a terrible mark on one and I suppose the only end for her was death. It may have been untimely but in a way it saved her from eventually despising the true nature of the one she had made.

I can never sympathise with Louis or find redemption in him because of his involvement in Claudia's making. Lestat is selfish, that fact is well documented, but Louis, for all his self-loathing, lacked the human capacity to let Claudia have a mortal death. In the end all his did was transfer his suffering to another. That is more unsettling than Lestats's wild antics.

There is more to Lestat as a character then what you even realise in this book which is disappointing. If I hadn't started the next book I would be quite happy to leave Lestat to his fate remembering him as a charismatic character that was never really let off his leash and never reached his full potential.

I find the way in which these immortals break with one another to be very sad. They roam such a limited, torturous playground.

The best part about this book is the format in which the story is told. I loved the interview process and it was the perfect way for Louis to expose himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.