Cem's Reviews > Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business

Socialnomics by Erik Qualman

Mar 20, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: main-shelf
Read in March, 2012

Interesting topic, but poorly written.
I can think of two main reasons:
(1) The book is VERY repetitive, ie. social media is a game changer - OK, we get it, but how exactly? For instance, the chapter summaries at the end are highly unnecessary, since the chapter itself is a summary and quite soapy.
(2) His analyses almost never go beyond his assurances or conclusions, very vague in general. You can tell he knows a lot on the issue but his knowledge doesn't come across as clearly as he thinks it does, mainly because he neglects quite a lot of numbers, hard facts, references to main parameters that would have helped the reader to understand his reasoning.
(3) He should have skipped the sociological insights, what he says is not different than any other guy on the street would say on the matter.

This could have been a 10-pager, and would have been much better off. If anything, social media (ie. Twitter) teaches us to condense our thoughts into more meaningful shorter versions. His ambition to cover all fails him, as his take on the subject ends up barely touching the surface of the social media phenomenon we see today..
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Socialnomics.