Sarah's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

F 50x66
May 20, 12

Read from May 09 to 20, 2012, read count: 1

A word to summarise my thought of this book: unexpected. Having misjudged the synopsis, I thought Heathcliff was simply a misunderstood, cold character who eventually learnt to forgive those who wronged him and survived. But he is...a truly cold man, and violent by nature. Catherine Earnshaw was similarly wild... but the two loved each other, somehow. It was...an interesting match, I thought.

Then there was Catherine Linton's love story - quite delightful, though heavily tainted by Heathcliff's involvement, which made me despise him for a while. But then Linton Heathcliff turned out to be quite weak as a person, and... somehow that contrasted with Heathcliff as a character. From that moment onward I thought Heathcliff a rather wonderfully unique character in literature.

What I didn't appreciate in the beginning of my reading of this novel is Ellen Deans becoming the narrator. At first it seemed to me quite silly, because as a reader I thought jumping straight into the story of Heathcliff would be more concise. However, towards the end of Ellen's narration (view spoiler), my reading progressed in a rather more interesting manner. Suspense was created (view spoiler). This literary technique really transformed my understanding of the story.

I can see why this is considered a literary text. Yes, I liked it very much as a piece of literature (hence I "really liked it"). My only concern is the characterisation, which disturbs me significantly, but they are insightful and truly unique in literature and that really is quite fascinating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.