Michele ~ la Smoocherina's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Update: As reviewed for: Read Our Lips Book Blog

Gideon and Eva
description

Bared to You was getting tons of fanfare on Goodreads. People were going crazy over it! It didn’t take long for me to understand why. I was hooked in the first chapter. Eva Tramell, a 24 year old new graduate has moved to New York City with her best friend, Cary (a bisexual man) to be closer to her mom and stepfather. She has a new job in the Crossfire Building at an advertising agency. The day before she starts her new job, she stops by the office and literally crashes into Gideon Cross, who at 28-years old, is a billionaire business mogul, owner of the building she works in and the most gorgeous man Eva has ever laid eyes on.

After a few elevator encounters, it’s clear that the heat between them is mutual. When I say heat, I mean that it’s possible that I’ve never have seen such incendiary lust put to page. It borders on unhealthy and crosses over that line a time or two.

Gideon is determined to get Eva into his bed, but he doesn’t date. He has women that he sleeps with and women that are his friends and never the twain shall meet. Eva is not opposed to a friends with benefits arrangement, but wants a little more than a business transaction. So begins the chase.

Eva tries to hold out, but Gideon uses every one of his considerable resources to win her over. This borders on stalking which really bothers Eva because her mother is already ignoring the boundaries Eva has set in her life. Unfortunately, it’s a big error on Gideon’s part, but let’s just say Gideon is a little OCD on the information gathering.

Eventually Gideon wins her over. Their first sexual encounter has some of the hottest dialogue I’ve ever read and it only gets hotter from there. (see excerpt).

But both Eva and Gideon have serious issues to overcome. Eva has self-esteem issues mostly due to a sexual abuse history and Gideon, is battling demons of his own though it’s unclear exactly what kind. He is a Sexomniac and has vivid dreams that are upsetting for Eva to witness, and one of his dreams brings Eva’s traumatic past roaring to the forefront once again.

But both Gideon and Eva become quickly and fiercely devoted to one other. They try to mend a lot of their differences through sex, though it’s hard to tell that’s what they are doing because they literally cannot keep their hands off of one another. But they are both aware of their own flaws and try hard to work on them.

There is serious family drama on both sides and both characters make major relationship mistakes. But it’s an incredible journey to witness. Gideon learns to open himself up to someone and is so crazy about Eva at times it feels as if he’ll jump out of his skin if he can’t touch her or be near her. Eva works hard at not running when things become difficult and admits to being very jealous and possessive and even uses it to try to warn Gideon away in the beginning. Through it all they explore elements of Dominance and submission, though there is no bondage or physical punishment, it’s fascinating to watch them figuring it out.

This book was just incredible. I couldn’t put it down! The sex was so hot and the relationship was so juicy that I just had to know what was coming next! There is a sequel planned to be released later in the year, but there’s not an uncomfortable cliffhanger that will make you wish that you waited for the sequel to come out to read both books. Definite recommended read.

Initial assessment:

Wow! This book was so hot. There was so much emotional angst, I felt it physically. I can't wait for the sequel. I know a lot of people are comparing this to Ifty Shades, but I like the heroine in this book more. A lot more. She stronger, sexual and a little broken, but so is Gideon. I thought (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

04/22/2012 page 90
25.0% "It’s insane, I know. I don’t—I can’t explain it, Eva, but I have to make you come. I’ve been thinking about it constantly for days now.”" 4 comments

message 1: by ~ Becs ~ (new) - added it

~ Becs ~ Woohoo - hope you love it x

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Thanks! I hope so too! Taking a break from my KA binge. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I am reading this book right now and loving it. What do you think so fun. Isn't Gideon so hot!!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nice review, Michele! It's on my Mountain, too.

Splage I saw a few comparisons as well to 50. I liked the heroine better in this one too. Nice review.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Thanks- Full review up now.

Carrie (Badass, Alpha-male, Cowboy Connoisseur ) Great Review! I really loved this book too.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Glad you enjoyed it. Wonderful review.

message 9: by Karla (last edited Apr 23, 2012 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karla Terrific review...I'm finishing it up now and I love it as much as you did!

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover ❤️ & KA Addict Awesome review Michele! And the photo is so Gideon & Eva, I just finished this book and cannot wait for the sequel.

Kelly Great review and images, Michele! I actually put a post it note on my desk to order this book and a note on my iPhone. Gotta read it. Feeling really left out! I think someone said not to read it right after I finish Fify, though , which I'm halfway through book two of.

Searock Beautiful image, Michele.
Love this review.

message 13: by Michele ~ la Smoocherina (last edited Apr 30, 2012 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Kelly wrote: "Great review and images, Michele! I actually put a post it note on my desk to order this book and a note on my iPhone. Gotta read it. Feeling really left out! I think someone said not to read it r..."

Thank You everyone!
Searock- I know we share a love of this book!

Kelly- I'd say that if you're a person who can let go of a book before reading another, you'd be fine. If not, try Seven Day Loan by Tiffany Reisz as a palate cleanser (the sequel is free on author's website). It's short and awesome, but in the same vain. What I sometimes do when I need a divider between books is go back and read some favorite scenes from a a favorite book in a different genre. Sometimes that's enough. This book was very different for me from Fifty, but not everyone feels this way. I felt the H and h were on more equal footing in this book, if that makes sense.

This book is our current giveaway at the blog

Bared To You Giveaway

Come on by! We have Man Candy!

Tonya Hey Michele,
Great review. I read this one a week or so ago. I put it down and was sad it ended so suddenly. Now I can't stop thinking about it. That whole push pull insecure thing works for Eva (or should I say doesn't come off as self absorbed) because she has indeed suffered and lived to tell(Madonna). Everyone is damaged in this one. But does it ever tell you just what was done to Gideon? I've never read a book that expresses that heady, manic way new untested love makes you feel. One minute bluebirds on her shoulder, the next DESPAIR! I loved that she could care less about his power and money. They had everything except self esteem. The only down side is I'm spoiled with KA's awesome epilogue.
Not Ms. Day's fault.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Tonya wrote: "Hey Michele,

Honey, this is Crossfire #1. There will be a sequel in the fall. What's better than an epilogue? A sequel! I think it's a three book series. :)

♥♥Deborah♥♥ Is A Brian Kinney Groupie So far I Flove it! I love the picture you used for Gideon and Eva. Great choice!

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Admat97 wrote: "So far I Flove it! I love the picture you used for Gideon and Eva. Great choice!"

Great! It's so good.

Tonya Michele from Read Our Lips Book Blog wrote: "Tonya wrote: "Hey Michele,

That is fantastic news! I get the feeling her step brother and his family aren't off the hook yet. Then there is the whole Carey thing. In my mind he's played by Alexander Skarsgard from True Blood. Who played a male model in Zoolander.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Gotcha! I love having a pic to go with books too. Hence my tumblr page. :)

Searock Tonya wrote: "I've never read a book that expresses that heady, manic way new untested love makes you feel. One minute bluebirds on her shoulder, the next DESPAIR!

So well said, Tonya.
(my lusCious CrusH)

Has anyone else been ruined by Skaarsgard's dad playing a bad guy in tHe Dragon Tattoo moVie. I neVer watCHed TB, but don't tHink I Could now. All I see wHen I look at His piC is His dad.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Searock wrote: "Tonya wrote: "I've never read a book that expresses that heady, manic way new untested love makes you feel. One minute bluebirds on her shoulder, the next DESPAIR!

So well said, Tonya.
(my lusCio..."

Dear God no! ASKARs may have been brought from the stork. He looks nothing like his parents. He's so yummy and awesome as Eric Northman.

But the Dragon Tatto movie was like disturb my sleep for three days disturbing. Good movie, but Damn!

Searock THe moVie was so good, I migHt HaVe to read tHe next one and not wait for tHe moVie.
(HaVen't read tHe series yet)
(I know!)

Michele ~ la Smoocherina I wanna read happy stuff. Those seem like boy books to me. I had to look away during the movie and make my hubby put on the closed caption.

I'm a weenie, but I work in women's health. My heart couldn't take it. It hurt, it physically hurt.

message 24: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz David Gandy...MMMM I love this man! Google him. There's some black and whites that'll have you running for a cold shower!!

Nicole-Pattypattz1 Great review Michelle and David Gandy would make a great Gideon!!! Nice picture btw!

♥♥Deborah♥♥ Is A Brian Kinney Groupie Yep...David Gandy is just a little good looking. :-D

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Thanks guys. Gandy is such a chameleon, he can be almost anyone.

Vallsykes La Diabla Lectura,
I had to read some reviews that were opposite from my rating...I thought, from the incident in Gideon's sleep, that the author would "go there" too. LOL
I too think that Eva is more strong-willed than Ana from 50. Good points in your review. I could see the story from a different perspective. Muah

Chelsie Motley That is literally the most perfect picture. LITERALLY.

nd  ♥ Master's lil-kitten ♥ Great review, Michele! i haven't read this one yet, but it's moving up on my TBR pile! :)

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Vallsykes wrote: "La Diabla Lectura,
I too think that Eva is ..."

Thanks, babe. :)

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Chelsie wrote: "That is literally the most perfect picture. LITERALLY."

Thanks Chelsie!

Michele ~ la Smoocherina nd (a.k.a. Master's kitten) wrote: "Great review, Michele! i haven't read this one yet, but it's moving up on my TBR pile! :)"

nd-great dysfunction. Well done.

Michele ~ la Smoocherina I castes David Gandy as Gideon Cross when I originally read this book and today, I came across this video. Lol

I've never casted Gandy as any other book character in my mind. :)