Katherine Coble's Reviews > A Long, Long Sleep

Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: bargain-books, books-i-force-on-everyrone-i-meet
Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys Sci Fi or Dystopian YA
Read from March 19 to 20, 2012

I completely love this book! It took me by surprise because I'm not much of one for Dystopian YA TITLES; I enjoyed _Hunger Games_ but a lot of subsequent titles in the genre feel forced and same-ish.

This book was a Kindle March book bargain and I figured for $3 what have I got to lose? Well, by the way it sucked me in I'd say "nothing". It was just a really good time.

I've seen several people complain about the main character's initial persona, but I found it utterly realistic when weighed against her circumstances. The other complaint I've seen is that there's too much "tell" and not enough "show". Frankly, I was thoroughly pleased with Ms. Sheehan's writing style. She was able to present a very dense amount of anthropological information in a captivating read. As a person who enjoys anthropological aspects of speculative fiction very much I was thrilled to not have to infer everything from oblique passing mentions.

I completely adore this book and encourage anyone with the slightest interest in fairy tales, folklore or spec fic to give this book a try.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Sleep.