Kenyatta's Reviews > Touching Spirit Bear

Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

Mar 19, 12

Read in March, 2012

The book Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen is a story about a fifteen year old boy who trusts no one and will destroy anything or anyone who gets in his way. Cole’s anger gets the best of him we he finds out that a boy at school told the police on him. After handling the boy he has ran out of last chances, or has he. When he parole officer gives him to choices, Circle Justice or Jail Cole will have to learn the Native American ways to avoid being tried as an adult. Cole is to be moved to an Alaskan island to begin his anger healing process for one year. However Cole thinks it’s just another game until he realizes “whatever you do to the animals, you do to yourself.”
As for teaching this book, I honestly am not sure what to do. The only thing I could use this book for is to examine or teach other things in English class. I may look at nonfiction sources such as laws, newspaper etc. This may be a good book to lead you into researching methods and papers. I also recommend this book if you are dealing with a bullying problem. This book also seems good for a history teacher. Maybe can have students create laws for the school, classroom etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching Spirit Bear.