Chezon's Reviews > The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography

The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, from-library
Read from March 19 to 27, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Measure of a Man.

Quotes Chezon Liked

Sidney Poitier
“A person doesn't have to change who he is to become better.”
Sidney Poitier, The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography

Sidney Poitier
“I don't mean to be like some old guy from the olden days who says, "I walked thirty miles to school every morning, so you kids should too." That's a statement born of envy and resentment. What I'm saying is something quite different. What I'm saying is that by having very little, I had it good. Children need a sense of pulling their own weight, of contributing to the family in some way, and some sense of the family's interdependence. They take pride in knowing that they're contributing. They learn responsibility and discipline through meaningful work. The values developed within a family that operates on those principles then extend to the society at large. By not being quite so indulged and "protected" from reality by overflowing abundance, children see the bonds that connect them to others.”
Sidney Poitier, The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography

03/19/2012
26.0% "Interesting how he got into Hollywood. Kinda stumbled into his purpose, tho' the idea of it was in the back of his mind....."
03/20/2012
54.0% "pushing through the audiobook" 2 comments
03/26/2012
93.0% "Should be finished with the audiobook today."