Janice (Janicu)'s Reviews > Discount Armageddon

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

20432
Jun 24, 12

Read from March 19 to 28, 2012

(review originally posted here)

I'm a big fan of Seanan McGuire's Toby Daye books so I've been looking forward to reading Discount Armageddonever since I first heard of it.

The Premise: Verity Price comes from a line of cryptozoologists -- people who categorize those mythical beings and monsters that humans don't think really exist. If such a creature (a cryptid) is a danger to people and won't curtail its harmful nature on its own, her family steps in, but mostly they leave the cryptids alone. They believe in maintaining an ecological equilibrium -- not a philosophy that the Covenant of St. George shares. Ever since the Healy/Price family broke off from the Covenant, they've been branded as traitors to the human race. After emigrating to America, they've kept their heads down to make it harder for the Covenant to find and hunt them down. The exception to the "no publicity" rule is Verity. No one really thinks of dance training as fight training, so she's allowed to move to New York City where she can monitor the cryptid population there while trying to make it as a dancer. All goes well until a Covenant member is seen in town and members of the cryptid population begin to disappear.

My Thoughts: Although they are both classified as urban fantasy, the InCryptid series is very different from the October Daye books. Do not approach this series expecting something like October Daye. I had to do a mind-reset because I found myself comparing them, and it's like comparing apples and oranges. The biggest difference is that this series is a lot less serious. Verity Price is a younger protagonist with no known baggage and a big dream. She just wants to dance. While she's respectful of her family business and trained just as hard as her brother Alex and sister Antimony, her indulgence in her real passion, her blonde, blue-eyed look, high energy, and her Smart Aleck demeanor make her by far the least moody urban fantasy heroine I've ever met. Verity may not be what a lot of people expect in their urban fantasy, but I don't think she's a bad thing. She's just a UF heroine coming from a different direction.

Since Verity is a more light-hearted character, if you guessed that other aspects of Discount Armageddon are light-hearted too, you wouldn't be wrong. I wouldn't call it light-hearted to the point of being a farce, because there is some gritty thrown in there (monsters and death and dark, damp, places), but it's definitely a lot more fun than the UF I'm used to reading. Verity likes to let herself live in the moment with dancing her heart out at a club, free running across rooftops, or dropping into the dark from her kitchen window. She shares her apartment with a colony of talking, religious mice. Mice that worship her family, pepper her apartment with the word "Hail", and enthusiastically celebrate mundane events as religious holidays.

The relationships in this book are blessedly uncomplicated by past drama. When she talks to her family she's clearly happy and close with them, and they talk about killing monsters and have conversations where basilisks, crossbows, and "I'll tell them you're insane but being responsible about it." are part of the conversation. Verity's family isn't in New York with her (with the exception of her cuckoo cousin Sarah), but we hear a lot about them from Verity, and they all seem great and kick butt in their own unique ways. Verity approaches her romantic relationships without some dark past relationship clouding in her present. What you see is what you get with this girl. There is a blossoming romance in this book and I liked that Verity approached her attraction a straightforward way (although, whether things will work out remains to be seen).

The main plot here is the arrival of Dominic De Luca, a young member of the Covenant, to Verity's turf, and the disappearance of cryptids not long after. Verity has to make a decision about the impressively trained but ill-informed Dominic, and she has to figure out what exactly is behind the missing cryptids. With the help of Sarah, Verity's nerdy mathematician adopted cousin, who happens to be a Cuckoo (which means she's got some amazing skills at blending in, including telepathy), the mystery feels relatively straightforward. OK, there are a couple of twists and turns, but I was so much more entertained by Verity's life that the investigation took a back seat to that for much of the book before coming to the forefront at the end.

P.S. The cover - it matches the fun tone of the book, and I like that it's different from the usual all-black, serious look of other UF covers, but still not in love with the scantily clad in stilettos look. Yes, Verity works as a waitress in a strip joint, and her uniform sounds like what she's wearing on the cover, but still.

Overall: A refreshing urban fantasy that does not take itself too seriously. Discount Armageddon is full of fun and humor, but is balanced with just the right amount of grit. I thoroughly enjoyed Verity's dynamo presence and her enthusiasm for being in the Now. She's a kick-ass UF heroine who isn't angry or angsty, doesn't have a painful past, and comes with a supportive family. I recommend this one for urban fantasy fans that are looking for something that approaches the genre from a different angle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discount Armageddon.

03/19/2012 page 94
26.0% "Bought this the week of the release - drove all the way to the further B&N, then that night found it at my walking distance B&N! Dang! Anyway, like it so far. UF heroine who just wants to dance! I love her crazy, kick butt family." 5 comments
03/22/2012 page 240
65.0% "Not much time to blog this week but I read more of Discount Armageddon! I've decided that because Verity Price is younger, flippant, and not world-weary like Toby Daye, this book feels lighter than McGuire's other UF series. But I don't know if the right word is "lighter". The tone just feels less weighted by the past, and I think the heroine having a big dream sort of makes the story more.. something."
03/24/2012 page 284
77.0% 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Schneider Wow, I missed this review when it came out on your blog--it sounds like my kind of book, but I would never have guessed that from the cover. The cover kind of says "steampunk" or edgy UF to me--it sounds more like a cozy UF, or at least humorous UF. I'll have to check this one out!

Janice (Janicu) Oh yeah, this one is on the lighthearted side. :)

message 3: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Schneider Janice (Janicu) wrote: "Oh yeah, this one is on the lighthearted side. :)"

Cool. It probably won't go on Kindle sale, so I'll see if my library has it or can get it in. They don't have a lot of fantasy or sci/fi, but I can interlibrary loan it!